Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Results 1 to 9 of 9

    SKY Link and channels problem

    This is a discussion on SKY Link and channels problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys I'm a new member and would love to have some advice from you knowelegable gurus. TIA My set ...

    1. #1
      telebubble's Avatar
      telebubble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      5
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      SKY Link and channels problem

      Hi guys I'm a new member and would love to have some advice from you knowelegable gurus. TIA

      My set up is this:
      Sitting Room:
      TV, connected to DVD and SKY+HD box using HDMI.
      All seem to be working with channel changing ok.
      There is an ariel lead from the RF2 socket to a second tv in the bedroom.
      The RF Output channel is 68 and the RF2 socket is switched on.
      Bedroom:
      Has ariel lead from the RF2 socket on the SKY box going to a SKY Link
      magic eye which is plugged in to the ariel socket on the second tv.
      The magic eye is not faulty as the indicator light shows when I plug it directly
      in to the RF2 socket on the SKY box. However, it doesn't light when it is connected to
      the ariel lead and plugged in to the second TV. If I remove the magic and
      plug the ariel from the SKY box directly in to the second tv I get freeview channels as expected.
      The DVD connected to the second TV is connected via an HDMI lead and is visible in the tv source list and does play.
      This second tv is a Samsung 20" and plays the usual frieview channells plus radio that are installed in the set
      but I cannot see any sign of the SKY programs from the SKY HD box.
      I am thinking that this might be a channel problem and the first tv shows 68 and the second tv doesn't seem to show anything.
      It might be worth mentioning that the setup worked 18 months ago with SKY. I then changed to BT Vision but have now gone back to SKY.
      Both tv's and the SKY box have been reset but this hasn't resolved the issue.
      How then do I tune in the second TV to the same channel as the first to be able to use SKY and have the remote functioning.
      A long explanation of the problem maybe but it may save time. I really don't want to pay an engineer.


    2. Advertisement
    3. #2
      seawright's Avatar
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Posts
      3,190
      Thanks
      63
      Thanked 336 Times in 327 Posts

      Re: SKY Link and channels problem

      While watching freeview on bedroom tv if you unplug aerial lead from the RF2 socket on the SKY box do you lose reception on the bedroom tv?

    4. #3
      telebubble's Avatar
      telebubble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      5
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: SKY Link and channels problem

      Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      While watching freeview on bedroom tv if you unplug aerial lead from the RF2 socket on the SKY box do you lose reception on the bedroom tv?
      Yes seawright, picture goes off on the bedroom tv

    5. #4
      seawright's Avatar
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Posts
      3,190
      Thanks
      63
      Thanked 336 Times in 327 Posts

      Re: SKY Link and channels problem

      You say the magic eye is not faulty as the indicator light shows when you plug it directly into the RF2 socket on the SKY box. Does the indicator light still show when you have the cable which feeds the bedroom plugged into the other end of the magic eye's connector?

      With RF2 socket on the SKY box reconnected and the magic eye plugged into the lead in the bedroom but without connecting the flying lead to the tv does the indicator light show?

      If not switch off mains socket supplying Sky box leave 1 minute then switch on again and re-check. Sometimes changing connections can trip the power supply feeding RF2 socket.

    6. #5
      telebubble's Avatar
      telebubble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      5
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: SKY Link and channels problem

      Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      You say the magic eye is not faulty as the indicator light shows when you plug it directly into the RF2 socket on the SKY box. Does the indicator light still show when you have the cable which feeds the bedroom plugged into the other end of the magic eye's connector?

      With RF2 socket on the SKY box reconnected and the magic eye plugged into the lead in the bedroom but without connecting the flying lead to the tv does the indicator light show?

      If not switch off mains socket supplying Sky box leave 1 minute then switch on again and re-check. Sometimes changing connections can trip the power supply feeding RF2 socket.

      Can't plug the ariel lead in the other end of the magic eye yet as I don't have an adaptor yet to change from male to female.

      The answer to your second question is No it doesn't.

      Your last question I have unplugged and reset all items TV's, SKY box but nothing has changed.

    7. #6
      seawright's Avatar
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Posts
      3,190
      Thanks
      63
      Thanked 336 Times in 327 Posts

      Re: SKY Link and channels problem

      Does the lead from RF2 socket run directly to your bedroom or are there any intermediate connectors, adaptors, splitters or signal boosters?

      I don't know how many similar plugs there are behind your Sky box. Are you able to confirm that the plug connected to Sky box RF2 is attached to the cable going to your bedroom and not the tv aerial or somewhere else?

    8. #7
      telebubble's Avatar
      telebubble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      5
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: SKY Link and channels problem

      Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Does the lead from RF2 socket run directly to your bedroom or are there any intermediate connectors, adaptors, splitters or signal boosters?

      I don't know how many similar plugs there are behind your Sky box. Are you able to confirm that the plug connected to Sky box RF2 is attached to the cable going to your bedroom and not the tv aerial or somewhere else?
      The ariel lead is attached to the RF2 output by a normal coax connector, the lead then runs directly to the ariel socket on the second tv. There are no other splitters or boosters in the line, just a straight run from one tv to the other.

    9. #8
      seawright's Avatar
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Posts
      3,190
      Thanks
      63
      Thanked 336 Times in 327 Posts

      Re: SKY Link and channels problem

      Ok. Can you disconnect the hdmi lead from the lounge TV and use the flying lead from the bedroom to go from RF2 on the Sky box to the aerial input socket on the lounge tv. With the input selector set to analogue TV and tuned to channel 68 check that Sky programming can be viewed on the lounge TV.

      If that's ok then suspect the long co-ax cable from RF2 to the bedroom. Unless there are any physical signs of damage then the plugs at either end are the most likely culprits. Check at each end that the outer braid makes good electrical contact with the plug body and that none of the braid is coming into contact with the centre pin/conductor. You will probably have to dismantle the plugs to check this.

    10. #9
      telebubble's Avatar
      telebubble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      5
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: SKY Link and channels problem

      Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Ok. Can you disconnect the hdmi lead from the lounge TV and use the flying lead from the bedroom to go from RF2 on the Sky box to the aerial input socket on the lounge tv. With the input selector set to analogue TV and tuned to channel 68 check that Sky programming can be viewed on the lounge TV.

      If that's ok then suspect the long co-ax cable from RF2 to the bedroom. Unless there are any physical signs of damage then the plugs at either end are the most likely culprits. Check at each end that the outer braid makes good electrical contact with the plug body and that none of the braid is coming into contact with the centre pin/conductor. You will probably have to dismantle the plugs to check this.

      OK seawright, I'll give that atry and get back to you. Thanks for all your time.

     

     

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION