Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme

New Sky Hub

This is a discussion on New Sky Hub within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just installed it after having the old Netgear. I was confused at first when I powered it up as the ...

highdef is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01444
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

New Sky Hub

Just installed it after having the old Netgear.
      I was confused at first when I powered it up as the Box kept on powering down on the wif-fi and then coming back on again. This has now settled and remains on. I dont know why at first it was doing this but mabe it was seaching for the best Channel? Its now settled on Ch11.
      The router is in the same place as the old one and the wi-fi is a bit down overall in signal.

Also the WPS is on. as I though at first this may have something to do with the powering down?

Overall Review: Not bad, shame about Wi-Fi Signal as I have no where else to site the Hub.

Would it help to shut the WPS down, as I dont understand the point of it ??

2. Advertisement
      itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New Sky Hub

If you have no use and none of your devices use WPS then I would shut it down and use the standard approach to securing your network.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

As I have previously tried to mention, and I am aware of the recent blog where someone has managed to hack a WiFi n router by using the WPS, there is no need to disable the WPS feature. If someone attempts to hack the Sky Hub SR101 using this method, the feature is locked out for a period of time. This would mean that such a hacker would have to try and hack the Sky Hub SR101 over a period of many days and still be unsure about the progress.

There are quicker ways to hack the WiFi of any WPA2-AES encrypted WiFi router. One would be to capture the packets and decrypt those. This has already been done with the use of cloud computing.

Getting back to the apparent restart of the router, this is relatively normal when the Sky Hub SR101 is first connected. It is trying to log onto the Sky servers and may also pick up a firmware update. If a firmware update is happening, the power LED will turn orange and blink.

Basically the first time the Sky Hub SR101 is connected, please wait. Allow the router to connect to the Sky servers and wait for it to settle down for say 5 minutes with no sign of activity, other than the LEDs all on.

As I have mentioned before, the initial connection may take up to an hour to complete.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Overall Review: Not bad, shame about Wi-Fi Signal as I have no where else to site the Hub.
      I would try the old fashioned method of setting the Channel manually. Set it to the same channel as the Netgear for a start and if that does not help, download and use Inssider(link below)

Sky have stated publicly that their new hub has better wireless than their competitors, I don't think they would have said this if they could not back it up.

I would also turn off WPS, as even if it is secure, it must be using resources which can be better used elsewhere.
      itype likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.