Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New router - unable to connect to internet

This is a discussion on New router - unable to connect to internet within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, Today I received a new router (Sagem F@ST 2504n) as a replacement for my previous, which was broken. ...

AlexCox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New router - unable to connect to internet

Hi there,

Today I received a new router (Sagem F@ST 2504n) as a replacement for my previous, which was broken.
      I plugged it in and started the start-up procedure, but the 'internet' light stayed a solid amber. I tried swapping the ADSL cable, and the microfilter without any change.
      I have tried to contact Sky's broadband support but they weren't much help in fixing, I've just been left with no internet and the word of an employee that they will look into the problem.

I understand that Sky routers are 'locked' in a sense; unable to use a 3rd party router(s) on a sky line. Could this be the cause of not being able to use my new router? Is the line locked to my old one?

Everything possible (to my knowledge and Sky's customer and tier 2 support) has been tried. I would also like to mention that the filter is plugged into my ONLY telephone socket and I do not have a test socket on this mount.

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New router - unable to connect to internet

Was this replacement router from Sky? Might just be that the router is faulty if you've not changed anything else.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      Was this replacement router from Sky? Might just be that the router is faulty if you've not changed anything else.
      Hi mattan, thanks for your reply.

My previous router was having this problem except the other day it stopped to even turn on. Myself and Sky believed the problems to be linked, therefore they sent out a new router. But, as I forgot to mention in my original post, I had this problem with my previous router. However, part of me still thinks that it only went the first time due to a fault with the router as sometimes they internet may work for a couple of hours out of the day (but it hasn't worked so far with the new router)

Thanks,
      Alex

Sorry about the layout and spelling/grammar, having to write these posts from my phone

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

My previous router was having this problem except the other day it stopped to even turn on.
      Can you plug your old router back in using the new PSU, see what happens. See if it works. There is a good chance there is a problem with your connection, Sky's knee jerk reaction is to send out a new router especially if it is within warranty, it is cheaper than calling in BTO

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Can you plug your old router back in using the new PSU, see what happens. See if it works. There is a good chance there is a problem with your connection, Sky's knee jerk reaction is to send out a new router especially if it is within warranty, it is cheaper than calling in BTO
      The new power adapter is too big for my old router so I guess I can't test it

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Do you have a test socket anywhere in your property or is it an old style master socket?

If two routers are failing to connect, then it does seem like a line fault or an issue with the socket.. Have Sky tried a line test?