Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Medway/Kent speed drop, anybody else? Router shows ok!

This is a discussion on Medway/Kent speed drop, anybody else? Router shows ok! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I had exactly the same experience once & sky were absolutely brilliant about it. Just like you guys, my line ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Medway/Kent speed drop, anybody else? Router shows ok!

I had exactly the same experience once & sky were absolutely brilliant about it.

Just like you guys, my line would go bad like clockwork:
      Mon - thurs 8:30 - 10:30pm.
      Fri,sat & sun 7 - 11:30pm.

Being a gamer, the big problem for me was the high pings. I didn't even notice the slow throughput for a few days.

Firstly, sky asked if i could supply some traceroute data for them pinpoint where the problem was.
      After explaining that i couldn't (only own a ps3 console) they asked me to call back in the evening while the line was bad & they'd do a test for me.
      The test revealed my pings to be above their acceptable threshold & was told the network team would be notified the following day & to expect a call soon.
      A network chap phoned the very next day, having done some tests at the exchange, then spoken to skys tech guys in london.

Here's where i got lucky.
      It turned out sky were already aware of the issue, just not that is was affecting my exchange (mine's the last in a chain of 3 & the problem was at the one before mine).
      The necessary equipment had already been installed, testing was in progress & it should go live within a month.

10 days later, this checker Broadband and Talk service updates | Sky Customer Support updated to show 'exchange affected'.

10 days after that, the checker updated again to show 'exchange unaffected ' & the problem was resolved.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

hessy2 (09-11-12)

3. Advertisement
      hessy2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rainham Kent
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks Gymno. Hope we get the same response from Sky.

Thanks

Copy of email sent to Sky Chief Exec office

Dear Sir/Madam,

Since Tuesday 6 November I have been having very slow connections speeds to my sky broadband. It reduces down to around 0.5 Meg - 1 Meg in the evenings from it's normal 6Meg- which I have had constant for the last 3 years or so.

I called Technical help phone line on Wednesday 7 November, and a line test was done showing no issues. I have tested in the master socket, changed the wire from the socket to the router, and changed microfilters, and the speed is still slow.

I called again on Thursday 8 November, at 8.30pm, and spoke to xxxxxx. This has now been raised to Customer Solutions Team and I have been sent a text with a reference no. of xxxxx.

Can this be raised to the highest team to resolve this.

On searching online (very slowly) last night it would appear that other Sky Broadband users at the Rainham exchange are also experiencing similar issues.
      The speed is fine during the day, but drops during the evening. I am getting the same issues. I did a speed test last night. I was getting 0.5-1 MEG, Did one at 6am this moirning, and I was getting my usual 6 MEG, so it is not an issue internally at my property.

Please view this link on Sky User forum:-
      Medway/Kent speed drop, anybody else? Router shows ok!

And on Sky Help fourm
      Sky Help Forum - Slow Internet since Monday!! - Page 2 - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum
      to see the issues that other people are facing.

On checking the postcode checker, there are no faults at the Rainham exchange listed, but it would appear that other people are having the same issue. I am writing to you to ensure that this is escaleted to the right level.

I would appreciate if you can give a timescale of when this will be rectified. At present the catch up TV on Sky HD is impossible to use. It takes hours to download a film, and video keeps buffering on the internet.
      If this is not sorted within a reasonable timescale I will have to consider moving to an alternative provider for all of my TV and phone services.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Thanks

Speed test done tonight. 0.7 Meg.

Sky called. From their VIP team, may be getting a further a call back later tonight.

Getting fed up of this now.

Thanks

Further update.

Just received a call from higher tier services. They stated that there is an issue linking into the Rainham exchange - a "daisy chain" effect which is involved in linking in to our exchange to other exchanges.

He said that they are anticipating that the issues will be resolved within 72 hours, and I will be getting a further update on Monday.

He said that speeds are dropping between 5pm and 9pm each evening.

Keep updating in the meantime.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hessy2 For This Useful Post:

busrider53 (10-11-12),peter (10-11-12)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123