Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

VPN Cutting Out

This is a discussion on VPN Cutting Out within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I was running a VPN (Daytrek) via my Sky router with no problems until last Saturday when it stopped working. ...

janeking is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

VPN Cutting Out

I was running a VPN (Daytrek) via my Sky router with no problems until last Saturday when it stopped working. I have set up a new VPN however it can connect with my office OK but cuts out after about a minute. It then takes around 10 minutes before I can re-connect then again it cuts out after a minute or so and will not re-connect. I have turned the SKy router on and off again but it makes no difference. My technical advisers are scratching their heads. They have looked at the admin section of the router online and it says that there are no signal blocking instructions in place. They have had the VPN running elsewhere with no problems but as soon as I use my own Sky connection it refuses to stay connected for longer than a minute or two. My office runs BT as their ISP but the cutting out is not coming from their end - as I mentioned before this has been run from an alternative site with no problems.

I would be very grateful for any advice or opinion as its driving my nuts and stopping me from working effectively.

I am running windows 7 and Microsoft Outlook Exchange.

Many thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: VPN Cutting Out

This may not be the problem but does your company use any blocking.software for blacklisted ISPs. Sky often appear on Spam blacklists. I also have VPN set up from gateway to gateway on a sky to sky connection. If sky drops the connection I need to delete my VPN at both sides and set it all up again. I think this is a netgear issue though.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

launton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LVROY (Liverpool Royal)
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-N66U
      Sky TV: Humax HDR-1000S
      Thanks

We fixed this by changing the software connection type to SSTP in the VPN connection properties tab.

BM999 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Market Drayton
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

ASUS UK have told me that the RT-N66U doesn't support SSTP and that it might with a workaround but that they haven't tested any workaround.

The entry above suggests that it does work with the RT-N66U (which I would expect as I've read that SSTP-based VPN uses port 443 (same as HTTPS) and therefore passes through most firewalls etc).

Was any config change needed on RT-N66U to enable SSTP to work ?