Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Best set-up for Sky Fibre with Apple Time Capsule

This is a discussion on Best set-up for Sky Fibre with Apple Time Capsule within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm new to the forum and know very little about networking so forgive me if this question has been ...

moogerfooger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Best set-up for Sky Fibre with Apple Time Capsule

Hi,
      I'm new to the forum and know very little about networking so forgive me if this question has been asked before (or is just plain stupid). I have Sky Fibre Broadband, installed yesterday, using the Sagem n router as well as an Apple Time Capsule. There is also a white BT OPENREACH box that appeared when my broadband was upgraded to Fibre. What is the optimum set up? Both the Sky router and the Time Capsule are offering wireless networks but I'm using the Sky one for simplicity. Should I switch the wireless off on one?

Best,

2. Advertisement
      JacksterD is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Apple Airport Extreme
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Best set-up for Sky Fibre with Apple Time Capsule

You're best turning one of the wifi access points off to prevent any interference which could degrade the range and speeds achievable.

I'd recommend turning off the wifi on the Sky Hub and relying on the Apple Time Capsule. Assuming it's either the latest model or the second latest model of Time Capsule then you should be able to boost your range and maximum speeds by relying on the TC as opposed to the Sky Hub.
      Last edited by JacksterD; 30-11-12 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JacksterD View Post
      You're best turning one of the wifi access points off to prevent any interference which could degrade the range and speeds achievable.

I'd recommend turning off the wifi on the Sky Hub and relying on the Apple Time Capsule. Assuming it's either the latest model or the second latest model of Time Capsule the you should be able to boost your range and maximum speeds by relying on the TC as opposed to the Sky Hub.
      Thanks - that's really helpful.

JacksterD is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Apple Airport Extreme
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hey moogerfooger, just a wee update on some experiments I've been doing with my setup which involves a Sky Hub and a Time Capsule.

It's actually possible to use both of their wireless access points at the same time to extend your wireless network, although I've found that you're sometimes best only using one AP.

You can use both by giving the Sky Hub and the Time Capsule the same SSID and the same WPA password. The majority of wifi devices are smart enough to just show your wireless network as a single access point and will know to connect to whichever access point gives the strongest signal at your location.

Theoretically it sounds like a good idea and I had my network set up this way for a few days, but I was surprised to find that my devices were almost always choosing to connect to the Sky Hub over the Time Capsule. This seemed strange as I know the Time Capsule has a more capable wireless radio in it, and has a much higher maximum throughput. The Hub and TC are located about a metre away from each other, so I thought that only devices in the room next to the Sky Hub would connect to it and everything else would connect to the Time Capsule.

After a bit of digging and experimenting, I found that statistically the Sky Hub did tend to transmit a slightly stronger signal than the Time Capsule (which is why my wifi devices were choosing to connect to it), but I also found that when I gave the two access points different SSIDs and made my devices connect to the Time Capsule they gave me higher speeds and more reliable connections, even though the signal was indeed slightly weaker.

Ultimately it seems you probably are best turning the wifi off on the Sky Hub and just using the Time Capsule for wireless, unless you have a big house which the Time Capsule alone can't cover, in which case you'd be best placing them at opposite ends of the house and running cat5e from the Hub to the TC and going down the matching SSID and WPA password route. Remember if you go down this route to set the two APs to different channels at least 6 apart (you're best choosing from channels 1, 6 and 12 as they're the only non-overlapping ones).

Hope this helps

Exchange:
      Thanks

Again, can't thank you enough for all your hard work. I've switched off the Sky wifi and am getting a great signal from the TC. Luckily my house is pretty small!

Best,