Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky broadband router speed drops

This is a discussion on Sky broadband router speed drops within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Wonder if anyone out there can help with a SKY broadband problem I have. I use a netgear 934gt(the black ...

Awest3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01527
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky broadband router speed drops

Wonder if anyone out there can help with a SKY broadband problem I have. I use a netgear 934gt(the black one). I was having trouble with the wifi range and thought I'd upgrade to an N type router, which supposedly have a better range. To cut a long story short, when using the N router my broadband speed dropped from 3meg to 1 meg. Thinking I'd got a faulty router I tried two others with the same result. SKY are being quite helpful but are perplexed by this issue. They have now sent me one of the new HUB routers but this has exactly the same issues. All the usual things have been checked time and time again to no avail. Why would a router slow the access down or visa versa why would a router (934gt) increase the access speeds?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky broadband router speed drops

Maybe if you post your stats from both routers we may get an idea what is happening.

The black Netgear is a DG934G, not GT, only the white Sky router is a GT. The T signifies that it is a Super G, capable of 108mbps.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ok. Will do.

Thanks

Hi,
      The 934g Download = 3.196; Atten = 55; Noise = 9
      Upload = .796; Atten = 33; Noise = 11

The new Hub Download = 1.109; Atten = 56; noise =9
      Upload = .576; Atten = 34.7; Noise = 10.10

The Sky technician called today and are at a loss to whats causing this line speed drop

al

icklejitta is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Priory
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

My speed recently dropped, but I have a engineer coming this Friday to fix it.
      Sky customer service are clueless and no matter how many tests they run they can't profile the line any faster.
      Call Sky and ask for Tier 2 support (Customer Solutions Team) who, if you fight for it, will send an engineer out. (Hopefully) Took me 8 calls to get mine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Awest3 View Post
      Hi,
      The 934g Download = 3.196; Atten = 55; Noise = 9
      Upload = .796; Atten = 33; Noise = 11

The new Hub Download = 1.109; Atten = 56; noise =9
      Upload = .576; Atten = 34.7; Noise = 10.10

The Sky technician called today and are at a loss to whats causing this line speed drop

al
      What happens when you plug the Netgear back in? Does the speed return? If it does then it suggests the new router, new or not, is faulty and should be replaced.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      What happens when you plug the Netgear back in? Does the speed return? If it does then it suggests the new router, new or not, is faulty and should be replaced.
      Yes the speed returns. Whilst I would agree with you regarding a faulty router, this is the fifth one I've tried. All with the same result! I've even borrowed routers to test it.again same result. Sky have been helpful but do not have any idea as to what's happening. It can only be something to do with the router as nothing else changes.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't believe it can be the line as the net gear router works fine, it's only when I plug in an n type router that the issue occurs.
      Quote Originally Posted by icklejitta View Post
      My speed recently dropped, but I have a engineer coming this Friday to fix it.
      Sky customer service are clueless and no matter how many tests they run they can't profile the line any faster.
      Call Sky and ask for Tier 2 support (Customer Solutions Team) who, if you fight for it, will send an engineer out. (Hopefully) Took me 8 calls to get mine.

Thanks

Taking a deeper look at the network adapter via device manager it appears to be a broadcom 802.11g, this would suggest that it is not capable of supporting the n type router! or is my logic wrong?. I'm assuming the n part is only to do with wifi and should not affect line speed.

Do I need to buy a new network adapter which runs 801.11n? or is it a software update?

Thanks

As you say the wireless has no effect on your actual sync speed. Changing to a wireless N router would increase your wireless speed, but this has nothing to do with your sync speed.

There is not a lot you can change in the Sky routers settings which would effect your connection. The only one I can think of is the MTU. You could try changing this to 1458, 1462 or 1472. See if that makes any difference.

TomD

Useful Utilites

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Is the Netgear a Sky version or your own?
      Do both connect with MER or PPPoA?

Some have said that connection speed increases/decreases depending on which type the router uses.

Assuming you're just switching the ADSL cable from one router to the other to test this, the only things I can think of are the individual router settings or the Netgear is better with a longer and/or noiser line. I'm assuming there's differences in the chipsets used between these two routers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast