Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Use f@st 2504g as wireless extender

This is a discussion on Use f@st 2504g as wireless extender within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, I've recently signed up to Sky Broadband and been sent a sagem f@St 2504n router to use. Trouble ...

kingdave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Use f@st 2504g as wireless extender

Hi everyone,

I've recently signed up to Sky Broadband and been sent a sagem f@St 2504n router to use. Trouble is, signal isn't great in the living room and I have a few non WiFi devices that need connecting to the network.

I have a spare 2504g router lying around that I'd like to use as a wireless extender and connect the non WiFi devices to with Ethernet cables.

Can anyone provide a simple step by step guide on how to use the old g router as an extender on my network?

Thanks

Kingdave

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Re: Use f@st 2504g as wireless extender

Try this guide:

How to connect two Routers together

You will need to connect it to your main router using either a long Ethernet cable or a pair of HomePlugs. The connection could be a spur off a Network Switch.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Try this guide:

How to connect two Routers together

You will need to connect it to your main router using either a long Ethernet cable or a pair of HomePlugs. The connection could be a spur off a Network Switch.
      Thanks Scubbie.

I guess there's no way to link the 2 wirelessly? If I wanted cables between the two rooms I'd just connect them all via cable

Is the only option for a wireless link to use homepglugs with multiple ethernet ports or a wireless extender with multiple ethernet ports?

thanks

Thanks

Sadly these two routers can't be linked via the WiFi. There is still no custom firmware available for the Sagem 2504N, which would be required.

There are some proper Wireless Extenders which can offer additional LAN ports as well. If one doesn't have enough LAN ports, just connect a suitable Network Switch to it. Switches aimed at the domestic market typically have 5 or 8 ports but you can get some with considerably more.

There are also some HomePlugs available with also have a built-in WiFi adaptor. Some also have multiple LAN ports as well. Do ensure that you get a pair that supports at least 200mbps. Whilst 80mbps will work in an ADSL environment, gradually everyone is now moving to Fibre and they cannot cope in this environment.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sadly these two routers can't be linked via the WiFi. There is still no custom firmware available for the Sagem 2504N, which would be required.

There are some proper Wireless Extenders which can offer additional LAN ports as well. If one doesn't have enough LAN ports, just connect a suitable Network Switch to it. Switches aimed at the domestic market typically have 5 or 8 ports but you can get some with considerably more.

There are also some HomePlugs available with also have a built-in WiFi adaptor. Some also have multiple LAN ports as well. Do ensure that you get a pair that supports at least 200mbps. Whilst 80mbps will work in an ADSL environment, gradually everyone is now moving to Fibre and they cannot cope in this environment.
      Thanks again Scubbie.

Forgive my endless questions but.... would the "G" router not be the one that required the customer firmware? I would've thought if I wanted the "N" to see the "G" as an extender or access point then it would be be the "G" that needs the custom firmware to look like that kind of device? Otherwise, how do the actual extenders and access points on the market work with the "N" router?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the custom firmware for the Sagem 2504.

Perhaps someone else who is could chip in and confirm what the situation is?

Based upon other routers which do have this ability, you normally need each router to support the feature.