Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I think dlm has stopped and i could squeeze a bit more speed?

This is a discussion on I think dlm has stopped and i could squeeze a bit more speed? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; why is better uploading important to downloading? No matter what you are downloading, you are uploading at the same time. ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: I think dlm has stopped and i could squeeze a bit more speed?

why is better uploading important to downloading?
      No matter what you are downloading, you are uploading at the same time. Each packet that comes down has to be checked then acknowledged as correct by uploading a response. The slower this response is the slower the download will be. This becomes very apparent if you are uploading at full speed to a torrent, you will find your download grinds to a halt and in severe cases you will not even be able to browse.

It looks like your noise margin has been set to 6 db, which DLM considers it needs to keep your line stable. If your noise margin goes above 6db, reboot and you will see a speed increase. You might see an increase in speed using your old Netgear router, might be worth a try.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      DIRTY HARRY is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCCAF
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Quick question dlm has started again but now my attenuation is now 19.5 and not 20! What could of caused that?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Attenuation depends on the length and condition of the line, it is not set in stone. It can vary slightly, even over the course of 24 hours, it is nothing to worry about.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123