Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Internet being turned on tomorrow, looking for advice as to best set up

This is a discussion on Internet being turned on tomorrow, looking for advice as to best set up within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, I hope that you will be able to answer my queries. I am due to have my broadband ...

cuna84 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01923
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Internet being turned on tomorrow, looking for advice as to best set up

Hi guys,

I hope that you will be able to answer my queries. I am due to have my broadband turned on tomorrow (Sky Broadband unlimited) and I have been reading about the what happens during the first 10 days, and I know that your speed will gradually be turned up as time goes on. Now my main query is how should I have my router set up. Ideally because I only have one phone socket in the flat (in the hallway), and I would like the router in the long run to be placed in the living room, allowing easier connections to my TV and to the Sky box. This would involved a LAN cable being used from the socket (via a microfilter of course) to then connect to my router in a different room. Would this affect my line speeds, during the initial 10 days testing? If so, should I connect my router directly to the socket for the moment until the 10 days has passed, and then move it after that. My guess is to set up the router as I will have it in the long run. Any advice here will be gratefully received!

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Internet being turned on tomorrow, looking for advice as to best set up

If you have the router plugged in in a different room, as long as the cable is a decent quality you should be fine.

Have you got the master socket in the hallway?

If so it maybe an idea to check the stats of the router in the test socket in the hallway, then test again in the other room, this will give you an idea of how good your internal wiring is.

You are somehow going to have to get the ADSL signal from the hallway to the other room, and a LAN cable wouldn't fit in the socket iirc

You maybe best running a seperate cable from the master to the other room from the ADSL side of the facplate, and then terminating that in the other room.

If you get stuck give us a shout.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Well I have already bought the extension cable as it were, Duronic 20m Professional Gold Headed Network Cable - Black - High Speed Premium Quality Cat6e / Patch / Ethernet / Modem / Router / LAN: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories. Regarding test socket I will have to assume that this is the one in the hallway since it is the only socket I have in the flat!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cuna84 View Post
      Well I have already bought the extension cable as it were, Duronic 20m Professional Gold Headed Network Cable - Black - High Speed Premium Quality Cat6e / Patch / Ethernet / Modem / Router / LAN: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories. Regarding test socket I will have to assume that this is the one in the hallway since it is the only socket I have in the flat!
      If you only have the one socket, then that would be the master socket.

The snag you are up against is the cable that you have bought, I don't think that would fit into the ADSL socket?

You could put the router next to the master socket no issues, then run that cable from the router to your PC

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Ah I see, will the cable I have bought not plug into the microfilter?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Its a Network cable which means it has RJ45 connectors, you need RJ11 connectors for the ADSL cable. Your best bet would be to place the router next to the master socket and run this cable from one of its ethernet ports to a switch in the other room. Switches a quite cheap. TP-Link 5-Port 10/100 Unmanaged Mini Desktop Switch (TL-SF1005D) Plastic Case: Mcab: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Oops, quite a bit error on my part, looks like if my plan to keep the router in the living room is to come to fruition then I need to send back the 20m cable I have bought and buy a 20m cable with RJ11 connectors instead? Or are there adapters you can buy?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You can buy adapters to change the cable to RJ11. - RJ11 Male to RJ45 Female Converter

If I were you and still wanted the router in the other room I would buy an ADSL extension kit.- NTE2000 ADSL Extension Kit, 30M I am pretty sure you could have one made up to the length you need with an RJ11 plug on one end.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.