Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PLEASE HELP - This is weird! - Resolved

This is a discussion on PLEASE HELP - This is weird! - Resolved within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, We have been up and running fine and dandy with Sky Broadband for the last few weeks both wirelessly ...

pingpong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

PLEASE HELP - This is weird! - Resolved

Hi, We have been up and running fine and dandy with Sky Broadband for the last few weeks both wirelessly and via ethernet cable. The speeds seem to be fine and we've been enjoying surfing most nights and weekends.

On Sunday night as per usual my boyfriend switched of the laptop and we went to bed (we only have a laptop in the house by the way).

REMEMBER WE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE APART FROM SWITCH THE LAPTOP OFF!

On Monday when we returned from work my boyfriend switched the laptop on to do a bit of surfing and discovered that our wireless connection no longer works? As soon as we plug the yellow ethernet cable in we can connect no problem at all. It's as though the fairies were playing about with our laptop when we went to bed and messed something up! I don't get how it can suddenly stop working. The firewall is always off so we know it's nothing to do with that. When you go into network connections it says that our signal strength is excellent but we have limited or no connectivity?!?!?!

It's a real pain as we don't have a lounge big enough for a desk therefore have to sit with laptop on the sofa thus having wires trailing about is a bit annoying and my boyfriend keeps nearly tripping on them!

Does anyone know what I can do to get our wireless connection back up and running again? I've reset the box about 4 times now and that makes no difference.

I was also on the phone last night to sky technical support, it's really weird when you phone them though (fortunately they answered straight away) because sometimes you speak to people who really seem to know what they are talking about but last night I had this lady who seemed clueless, I kept hearing someone in the background whispering things to ask me and she kept putting me on hold and going away to ask other people questions. It was very frustrating, I didn't get to bed until after midnight, I must have been on the phone for an hour and they still didn't sort the problem out. Another guy came on the phone who seemed a bit better but he gave up in the end and told me to turn everything off and call them back the next day. I dread the thought of getting through to someone again today who doesn't seem to be very technical?!?!

That's whey I'm hoping one of you guys can help instead?

The last resort I was going to try was to uninstall everything and then reinstall the sky BB disc again, I'm just so worried that I will lose connection all together then though!

Thanks and hope you can help

pingpong

2. Advertisement
      andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NowTV 40/10 & VM 200 Gamer
      Router: Netgear R7000 with XWRT-Vortex
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks
      i had this problem. all i needed to do was to reboot both the pc and the router and it seem to work again.

have you already tried this?

Ratti3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      Try this:
      Go into Wireless Network Connection Properties
      > Wireless Networks tab
      Then empty out the preferred networks list and try connecting again from scratch

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks guys but I have tried both of these things and it still doesn't work?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
      The firewall is always off.
      Why?
      Quote Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
      When you go into network connections it says that our signal strength is excellent but we have limited or no connectivity?!?!?!
      This is telling you that you have a wireless connection to the router but the router hasn't given your laptop a valid IP for some reason. If this happens then Windows will default to a "private address".

The easiest thing to try is to power off your router and your laptop. Then power up the router and a minute or so later the laptop.

If this doesn't work then turn the laptop off again but this time reset the router by poking a paperclip end in the little hole under where the power cord goes in on the back (hold it in for a couple of seconds). The router will reboot and reload the original settings it arrived with (if you changed these then you'll have to change them again). Leave for a minute then turn your laptop back on.

If you still can't get connected then something has probably happened to your wireless settings in your laptop. Post back and if not me, someone will talk you through fixing this.
      Last edited by Saturday; 13-10-06 at 07:13 PM.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks I will give this a try when I get home tonight and will post back to let you know if I have any joy. I'm not confident though as I've reset the router so many times now and also turned the laptop on a off a number of times too.

bobjune is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

please help- this is weird

have a look at the switch at the front of your laptop which switches your wireless on or off

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Done that, that's always switched on. thanks

garyb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peterborough Central
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV: