Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DLM not very dynamic?

This is a discussion on DLM not very dynamic? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm a new Sky broadband customer. Started DLM on the 13th - sync started at around 4000, next night ...

thrope is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

DLM not very dynamic?

Hi,

I'm a new Sky broadband customer. Started DLM on the 13th - sync started at around 4000, next night 7011, next night 7611. Since then it hasn't changed at all. My WAN uptime is 130h, noise margin 18db.

I assume something must have gone wrong because I don't see how it will get down to 7dB in the next 4 days based on current progress - but I rang Sky and I understand that anyway theres nothing I can do until the end of the non-active DLM process.

Is it worth rebooting the box myself to see if it comes back at a higher sync?

Really just want to get it sorted out. I haven't been able to configure the router as I want because of avoiding restarts and having the 1/2 speed connection is pretty annoying too. Any other suggestions?

2. Advertisement
      itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: DLM not very dynamic?

Leave it and let it run it's process. If you reset you could potentially lower your speed as the network will see it as an error/drop-out. Once it's finished, then would be the right time to post stats and do testing and bring it up with Sky.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have a WAN uptime of 130 hours it is very unlikely DLM training is running. Reboot your router by switching off the power for a minute, then on again. One reboot will not make any difference to DLM whereas several in an hour will. If you speed does not increase on the reboot, leave it overnight and see if it resyncs.

It often depends on who you get when you call Sky help, one agent will tell you nothing can be done, then the next will quite happily configure your line for you. If there is no change, give them a call tomorrow.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks... another night with no change... connection uptime now 150hours, noise margin 18dB. I will give another call today.

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Thanks

What's your line attenuation? What speed are you expecting?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      What's your line attenuation? What speed are you expecting?
      Line attentuation 30dB. I'm expecting 12+Mbps. Currently synced on 7611 for 150+ hours. Noise margin between 17.8 and 18.5 dB depending on time of day.

I thought I understood the DLM process and it looked to be working the first few nights. But its clear now nothing is happening and it is not going to get to the speed I was expecting.

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Thanks

Mine got stuck after about 3 days. I waited until the process had finished (go to MySky and see if you have a download and upload speed set on the broadband page), then called Sky to get them to manually reconfigure my line. It might take a few calls, but they're generally pretty good at tweaking your line.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      Mine got stuck after about 3 days. I waited until the process had finished (go to MySky and see if you have a download and upload speed set on the broadband page), then called Sky to get them to manually reconfigure my line. It might take a few calls, but they're generally pretty good at tweaking your line.
      Well I got through to someone who accepted that DLM was not working and manually configured the line.
      I'm now syncing at 12851 / 9dB noise on 30dB attentuation down 892 / 10.5 dB noise on 17.1dB attenuation up.

So much better. I tried to get the guy to go again to the target 7dB noise margin but he said since it was the first 10 days this was the best he would do. Might try again in a week... from the calculators it looks like 9-7dB could make quite a big difference (a few Mbit/s?) and 7dB should already be conservative since many providers use 6dB target. Is this right? I would particularly like to get the upstream up a little bit if possible.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

That's a long way short of what you could get with DLM training running properly. If your line is good enough DLM can reduce the margin to 3 db, which would make a big difference to your speed. It cannot be reduced manually until DLM sets it. If you speed does not improve, call them back in a couple of days and ask them if they can restart DLM training as you are sure your line can do much better.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That's a long way short of what you could get with DLM training running properly. If your line is good enough DLM can reduce the margin to 3 db, which would make a big difference to your speed. It cannot be reduced manually until DLM sets it. If you speed does not improve, call them back in a couple of days and ask them if they can restart DLM training as you are sure your line can do much better.
      Thanks I'll try that. At least we can use iplayer properly now though!