Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Norton Anti Virus

This is a discussion on Norton Anti Virus within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I decided not to install McAfee because I still had plenty subscription left on my Norton SystemWorks 2005. However, following ...

Stephen Kirrage is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woking
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Norton Anti Virus

I decided not to install McAfee because I still had plenty subscription left on my Norton SystemWorks 2005. However, following the switch to SKYBB MAX I noticed that the virus definitions etc were not automatically updating. Nor did a manual update work - the connection to the Symantec server persistently failed. After some correspondence with Symantec support here's how it got fixed (although some of it seems a bit random):

1. I ran a fix at http://service1.symantec.com/Support...rc=con_ols_nam which maybe did some good but didn't solve the problem

2. I ran the fix at http://service1.symantec.com/Support...rc=con_ols_nam which again may have done some good but also didn't solve it. However, STEP 3 at this page: "Remove unneeded dial-up entries" seemed to work. I had a number of internet dial-up accesses set up for when BB goes down (Came in useful in the gap between my oldsevice being terminated and SKY being activated) but options set to 'Never dial'. The fix only worked when I had removed all these connection options and re-booted.

I have yet to see what happens if I now re-set up a dial up option.

2. Advertisement
      The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      if you resetup a dial uption you should see the live update options in your control panel open it then under isp it asks where should it get settings, will be set to internet explorer change it to your lan connection and your sorted

Stephen Kirrage is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woking
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theg33k View Post
      if you resetup a dial uption you should see the live update options in your control panel open it then under isp it asks where should it get settings, will be set to internet explorer change it to your lan connection and your sorted
      Thanks. But I don't see what option under the ISP tab changes it to the LAN connection. The three options given are 1) Internet options in the Control Panel 2) Customised settings for LiveUpdate (which seems to give options to select a different dial-up connection) and 3) Do not manage my Dial-up Networking connections.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I refuse to have either of those two installed on my computers and they both strike me as being a bit of a resource hog. I use Avast as my virus scanner and even though I have only had the odd virus (mainly arriving as a spam attachment), it has never let me down. It has daily updates, sometimes two or three times a day it is updated and it is free for the home user.

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      ahh under isp options on mine its got configure connection but its symantec corp 10.

k once you have the 56k set up it click isp then customise then click add and set up lan then your live update will use lan instead of 56k but your 56k will still be in internet options.

at least thats how it works on mine. sorry.

organic Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      I would give up with both norton and mcafee and use microsoft windows one care.

available form windows live or microsoft . com or try google and search for version 1.5 it gives you 6 months of free use, after which you will need to purchase.