Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line not compatible with Sky Broadband?

This is a discussion on Line not compatible with Sky Broadband? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Like a few others, I have been trying to join Sky broadband for some time (Balmedie exchange is LLU 'd ...

Borisblank is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Balmedie
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Line not compatible with Sky Broadband?

Like a few others, I have been trying to join Sky broadband for some time (Balmedie exchange is LLU'd with Sky) but each time I tried to sign up online I got the dreaded "Based on the number you have provided we are unable to provide you with Sky Broadband on your current phone line. You can still benefit from inclusive UK* landline calls with Sky Talk" message. This has been happening over the past year or so.

Today I received a letter from Sky offering a years free Broadband to people in the Sky Network Area if I signed up to using Sky Line Rental, great I thought, at last I can join Sky!

Went on line to sign up but still got the "Based on the number you have provided we are unable to provide you...." message! Blast! Ok, I phoned Sky thinking it was only a glitch or something only to be told that my BT line through which I already have a broadband connection "is not compatible with Sky broadband therefore I can't sign up to it"! What??? Since when is a line that already receives broadband not compatible?? I said that surely if I received a letter saying I was in the Sky Network area then I must be able to receive Sky but she just said sorry, you can't have it!

Anyone any idea whats happening here, why is my existing line not able to receive Sky broadband? I'm no expert but with the the local exchange (Balmedie) LLU'd with Sky, I can't see any reason I can't receive it? Anyone able to shed light or help out?

My postcode is AB23 8ZL.

Thanks guys

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Line not compatible with Sky Broadband?

According to the SamKnows site your exchange does have Sky's kit installed.

Have you tried using your Postcode when placing the order instead?

Another option would be to call Sky's Sales team and see what happens. Do mention the letter and the offer when you call.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi thanks for your reply.

Yes I tried it with just my Postcode and it said "We were unable to check Sky Broadband and Talk availability on your number. Please try again" and just repeats this every time I try. I did originally speak to the sales team mentioning the letter but they are adamant that I cannot have Sky broadband. Funny thing is, there are others in my street that do have Sky BB - a quick scan of wi-fi shows a couple of local connections.

I emailed Jeremy Darroch yesterday as well (I was so annoyed with this "you are in the Sky Network area" but yet they are unwilling to provide BB to me) - here's the reply;

Dear Mr Butler

Account Number:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your email addressed to Jeremy Darroch which has been passed to me to investigate.
      I have looked into your account and, regrettably, have found that we are unable to provide you with a Sky broadband service. This could be because you are too far from the exchange for us to give you a stable speed, and therefore it would be unethical for us to provide this service. It could also be a simple case of there not being any space left at the local telephone exchange, in which case we may be able to provide this service in the future.
      We are constantly looking at ways to improve our broadband service, and recently, this has included the addition of fibre broadband services to some areas. We are constantly expanding the areas where fibre broadband is available, and while I can make no guarantees, I would recommend following this link and filling in your details:
      https://fibre.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-options/sky-fibre-broadband/
      This will ensure that, should fibre become available in your area, you will be informed straight away.
      I understand your disappointment with the situation, and apologise for the stress caused by the letter you received. Going forward, I hope your experience with Sky is more positive.
      Kind regards

Service Excellence Consultant
      Executive Support
      BSkyB - Customer Operations

So basically it looks like they have done the same online check, got the same " "Based on the number you have provided we are unable to provide you..." blurb and now say that I'm too far or there is no room! So why did they send me a letter if thats the case? "Unethical" - thats the first time I've heard that used as a reason for not providing BB!

I don't believe a word of it of course, I'm on a stable 2meg connection and have been since ADSL arrived at the exchange a few years ago.

Really, really annoyed with this I must admit. Sending me a letter saying that I can have Sky BB and then snatching it away without a plausible explanation is most frustrating. I'll email them back stating I have a 2meg stable line etc and ask if there is anything further that can be done.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks

That response gives me a couple of ideas.

If indeed the equipment is full, then if you were to try with a different address in your town, the order there would be rejected for the same reason.

As for the speed issue, you could respond and nicely point out your current connection stats and whether or not it has been stable with your current provider. You could also confirm that some neighbours (check whether they are closer or further from the green street cabinet too) are also Sky customers.

As for the 'unethical' comment, I was under the impression that if the connection was too slow (>512kb/s) then broadband would not be supplied.

Finally, I trust that there are no other potential issues on your line, such as being within the contract period, or is it under someone else's name?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Hi,
      Good suggestions!

I tried using a different address along the road (further from the green box) and it was rejected. I then tried an address next to the Balmedie exchange and it worked, it said "Sky Broadband Lite and Unlimited are available". So, the exchange isn't full after all! Using my own address and saying that I am "yet to move in", I get the "Based on the details you have provided we are unable to provide you" message.

I am unable to check which neighbour's are on Sky I'm afraid, as I am picking up the data via Wi-Fi scan (its certainly not ones I know), but there are two different connections that I can see within range.

You raise an interesting point about having a contract, I am currently under contract with BT until December, BUT I did try to join Sky last December when out of contract with the same results. Does being "in-contract" make a difference to the checker results?

I have as you suggested sent another email pleading my case - I'll not get my hopes up though.

As an aside, by way of a test I just ran through the checker process for PlusNet and Zen, both were successful so really not sure why Sky keeps failing? If Sky are picking and choosing their customers, why did they send a letter to my postcode saying I was in the Sky Network Area to begin with!?

Thanks

It will be interesting to see what your next response is.

There must be some technical reason why the Sky system won't let you order at the moment. As for the contract issue, I was clutching at straws a little there. It is possible that some kind of a block may have been put on your address, but I would find this harder to fathom.

The response you got from Sky the first time around didn't really show that they knew what the problem was. It just said it could be this or that or that. Since you have been sent some advertising material, I think that it is a good idea to find out what the real reason is that is preventing you from ordering.

This reminds me, next time I get some rubbish through my letter box asking me to join VM, I really ought to speak to the ASA as VM won't cable my home, but will run it to homes all around me.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/st..._Checker.html#

What does that say?

I have seen cases where the BT database has inaccurate data for a line and returns something stupid for the line length causing ISP's to reject an order on the belief that the line is to long to provide a usable ADSL service on.

It then very much depends on the ISPs systems and if you can get someone with enough authority/access to override the line checker results and place the order manually.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      I couldn't copy the result for some reason but it says ADSL fixed line upto 2Mbps and ADSL Max 1Mbps which is the same results as the normal Sky User checker.

I did receive a reply back from the executive folk;
      Dear Mr Butler
      Account Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for your reply, which was passed on to me by my colleague.
      I have asked one of our technical team to look into this, and they have advised that the issue is with exchange capacity, and there is no space at the moment.
      The letters are sent out automatically by our systems, and I apologise if this has caused you any distress.
      I hope that, going forward, your experience with Sky is a more positive one.
      Kind regards

Service Excellence Consultant
      Executive Support
      BSkyB - Customer Operations

Exchange full my backside! Using an address closer to the exchange, it accepts my application, using my own address it still rejects it. What a complete waste of my time this has been. Extremely disappointed with Sky I must admit.

As Dragon2611 says, its likely that if you get the right person on the Sky end then things may be different but clearly their mailshot advising that I "am in the Sky Network Area" is clearly misleading and for them to claim the Exchange is full is utter rubbish.

VisioN is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Just because an address is closer to the exchange, doesn't mean it uses that exchange. It could be using a different exchange. Balmedie has always been a pain, knowing this from having friends who live there and lived there for a year myself - for being just outside Aberdeen the connection speeds aren't great

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VisioN For This Useful Post:

Borisblank (10-10-12)