Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Make sure you tell your old ISP you have left!

This is a discussion on Make sure you tell your old ISP you have left! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Just had an interesting conversation with an AOL Customer Services guy (who i'm migrating from). I phoned to ...

Rezza is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wokingham
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Make sure you tell your old ISP you have left!

Hi all,

Just had an interesting conversation with an AOL Customer Services guy (who i'm migrating from). I phoned to complain that i'd been charged an extra month but it turns out AOL won't cancel the account until SKY gets in touch with them and according to them there is still an active AOL line to my phone number even though BT performed the CEASE on the 26th Sept. I told him about that i'm still waiting for a BT engineer to visit the exchange and do my PROVIDE (scheduled for the 20th Sept.) and was told that BT engineers don't have to visit the exchanges as it's all done on computer!! I also told him that SKY are using LLU opposed to Ipstream Max and was told it's not possible to migrate between the 2 systems! The MAC codes are specifically for swapping between ISP's that use Ipstream Max and because they've done a CEASE on my line it's technically out of the BT data stream and in 'limbo'!!!! He also said that he could cancel my AOL account completely there and then but AOL won't take any responsibility if it affects my SKY activation in any way. Is there a chance it might?

If this is the case then what is taking so long to provide me with SKY? I think i'm gonna try and get compensation out of SKY for the extra month from AOL (as it stands - that could increase!) and the month subscriptions i pay for World of Warcraft and Eve Online!

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Who's telling porkies now, SKY and BT or AOL?

Just remembered another thing, the AOL guy told me (after checking my exchange) that i'll only get a maximum download speed of 7mb but will more likely be around the 2mb mark!!!! I've signed up for SKY MAX so it bloody better be higher than that!

Cheers.
      Last edited by Rezza; 12-10-06 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Update

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I hope I don't have this problem as I have migrated from BT, will have to keep an eye on my account. Thanks for posting this Rezza

Ronni is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Barnabas, EMSTBBS
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      This is a good point..

When Migrating, we naturally presume start of new ISP & Billing and end of previous ISP & Billing.

Regardless, I think it is definitely worth phoning your previous ISP you migrating from, & confirming your status with them. Otherwise they may be oblivious, & continue charging you.
      Last edited by Ronni; 12-10-06 at 09:02 PM. Reason: sorry - spelling

ianb11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      This happened to me when migrating from Orange.

Orange reckon BT confiim to them that a successful migration has taken place & in my case this didn't happen & they continued to charge me.

To be fair to them once they got confirmation of the migration date they refunded me straight away.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      BT should tell all the losing ISP's when the migration has taken place, trouble is it does not happen within a decent time span, ie 7 days.

If you have migrated from another ISP always make sure you email or phone them.

This way you cannot be charged for anymore time.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Good point about phoning your old IP chaps, I think I will get onto BT in the morning to see what they have to say.

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Ronni View Post
      This is a good point..

When Migrating, we naturally presume start of new ISP & Billing and end of previous ISP & Billing.

Pipex made it clear in their acknowledgement email that my 30 days' notice to them (and I assume a full month's bill) begins with the issue of the MAC - that acually happened within 24 hours of my phoning so I've no gripe there. So I would imagine that unless you can wangle it so your new activation happens on the 30th day then there will be overlap of billing - or loss of service. I wouldn't care to chance that for the sake of a week or two extra bill.

SteCole77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester Irlam - MRIRL
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Wow thanks for noticing this!

I've got the same problem.

My old sevice, AOL went dead on the 5th Sept but i got billed on the 12th!

I didn't get my router untill the 8th but thats another story.

The least Sky can do is to get the dates right, that surely can't be too hard eh?

Any more problems to come lol?

Tyland is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maidstone, Kent
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Freedom2Surf e-mailed me (11.00p.m. Sunday night) to confirm cancellation at the same time as the orders appeared on the BT checker site.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      I just phoned BT Yahoo up and guess what, my account had not been cancelled. The lady was apologetic and said that if I am owed any money it will get refunded.

Thanks again for this thread as I wouldn't have thought to have checked if not

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast