Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New User, need advice.

This is a discussion on New User, need advice. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I changed my ISP a few days ago from TalkTalk to Sky Unlimited. I know that I am on the ...

fin186 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glenrothes Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New User, need advice.

I changed my ISP a few days ago from TalkTalk to Sky Unlimited. I know that I am on the outskirts of my exchange and am used to having relatively poor internet- I could usually download at about 1-2 mbps which although isn't very impressive was just about fast enough to meet my needs. However after moving to sky broadband (and after a couple of days of similar speeds to talktalk) my internet has become very laggy and online gaming impossible.
      In 'My Sky' I am told that testing has begun on my broadband- I assume this is the DLM talked about elsewhere in the forum.
      The problem i'm having is that my 'line stats' from the router diagnostics are very worrying. Even worse than i'd expected:

Connection Speed: 1898/604
      Line Attenuation: 64.5/40.4
      Noise Margin: this has been fluctuating today between about 2.5-4

I am 2.3km from the exchange as the crow flies.
      Does the low SNR have anything to do with the DLM thats going on? If not I don't understand how I can expect to get decent broadband speed. I have an old style BT master socket without a testing port. Is there any correlation between the low SNR and high attenuation or am I just doubly unlucky. Any advice as to how I can improve my speed would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: New User, need advice.

sky dlm will try to set your line to lowest noise margin but if problem with line or noise then will set noise margin higher but this can take depending online few days to settle down , if still poor connection when dlm finished suggest best for line to be switched from adsl2 to g.dmt can be manually set by agent usually level 2 support , g.dmt may give lower attenuation and steadier noisemargin

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unplug everything you have plugged into the phone line, plug the router into the master socket and take your stats. Any difference?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fin186 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glenrothes Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the responses. The SNR has been slowly creeping up, its sitting at about 8 just now. im guessing this is the Sky DLM experimenting with different setups. Ill wait until the process has finished before I decide if I need to mess about with wiring.
      The router is plugged into my master socket, there is a one phone line also attached. Once the dlm finishes i'll try taking it out to see if there is less noise.
      Thanks.