Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Urgent Broadband Help Needed

This is a discussion on Urgent Broadband Help Needed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Going by what has been posted the internal wiring is causing the issue, if you plug into the master socket ...

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Urgent Broadband Help Needed

Going by what has been posted the internal wiring is causing the issue, if you plug into the master socket normally for your broadband then just get an ADSL faceplate for the master socket, this will filter all extensions. Your alarm should also be filtered. Note a lot of phones still do require pin 3 to ring which is why an I Plate or ADSL faceplate is better than simply disconnecting the ring wire.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I was thinking that the vDSL faceplate would be a good choice as it would mean less rewiring for the OP too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

graemewh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: VIRGIN
      Thanks

bit confused what the faceplate is, the master socket has a cover on it with 2 screws and one port for the socket this is where the internet drops if plug it in here, if I take the 2 screws off and the cover off there is then the master socket thsi is where the internet works so its when the front cover is screwed back on the internet doesnt work, there are 2 wires a blue one and a white and blue one (im in work at the moment so cant send pic) but im sure they are in numbers 3 and 5
      The alarm is attached to a box downstairs that is filtered

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

The VDSL faceplate is a centralised ADSL filter, it sits in between the original lower faceplate that you remove to reveal the test socket and the back plate which has the test socket on it. By going with the latest version you would have no rewiring to do as Scubbie says. The fact that the lower front faceplate only has two wires indicates you either have a fault on the extension wiring OR the extension wiring is picking up noise.(they should be in 2 & 5)
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

It may well be 2 and 5, I assuem one wire is for the phone line and the other activates the downstairs box for him to put the alrm to?

He did say the wires that go into 2 and 5 were not good wires ie: they are too thick and I have found that this is true as I tried to slot one into one of the num,bers slots and it seesm very thick

Thanks

Essentially the filtered faceplate would isolate the internal wiring from the ADSL signal at the master socket.

It has been mentioned about the 'ring wire' in this thread. The reason why many suggest removing this is because it is often not used and it tends to serve as an aerial, picking up signals that interfere with the ADSL signal.

The two wires (2 & 5) are the normal two wires that all telephones and your alarm will require. Your extensions will still have a live voice line, but the ADSL signal will no longer be available on the extensions.

This IMHO would be a really good step as if you were to use your router on an extension the issue would still be present and the connection speed would be less than from the Master Socket.

In addition Dave from run-IT-direct has had many reports from customers, echoed by members of this forum, that the VDSL faceplate can improve the connection speed a little too.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

I assume if I have wires only to 2 and 5 then I do not have a ring wire?
      Sorry Im not good at wiring etc
      with the ADSL do I not understand what wiring it isolates and how?

Thanks

Basically a Microfilter splits the voice signal from the ADSL Broadband Signal.

Your current extensions carry both the voice and ADSL signals, which is separated by having a microfilter plugged in to them and the Alarm also has such a filter.

The VDSL faceplate fits between both the incoming line (in the Test socket) and where the extensions split off from.

Your existing Master socket has a split faceplate, as shown in the picture below:

The extensions should be wired to the faceplate which is being held in the photo above and as shown below:

This is then placed in the socket in the VDSL faceplate, which in turn connects to the test socket. Can you see the gap at the bottom of the VDSL faceplate in the picture below?

Using the VDSL faceplate there is no rewiring to be worried about. It is supplied with longer screws to replace the existing screws.

The router then plugs into the socket in the VDSL faceplate as shown by the silver cable in the picture below:

There is no harm is leaving the alarm filtered in the downstairs extension. We sometimes recommend that a Sky+ HD STB is double filtered in some cases.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I assume if I have wires only to 2 and 5 then I do not have a ring wire?
      Sorry Im not good at wiring etc
      with the ADSL do I not understand what wiring it isolates and how?
      That is correct, the #3 terminal carries the circuit for the ring wire.

The ADSL does not require a filter, it will work perfectly well plugged direct into the socket. The problem arises when other devices, phones, STBs, alarms etc. are added to the circuit. These cause cross-talk between the voice line and the data(ADSL) resulting in extraneous noise on the ADSL and interference on the other devices. Without a filter, or with a faulty one, the noise from the modem will be heard on a phone as a high pitched screeching noise. A filter separates the frequencies, sending the low frequencies used by phones etc, to these devices and allowing the full range of frequencies to pass to the ADSL side. Using a filtered faceplate the frequencies are separated right at the source, so there is no chance of a clash between the broadband and other devices.

Using a filtered faceplate also assists in isolating the broadband signal from the rest of the house wiring. This wiring can act like an aerial picking up interference which can have a very bad effect on the broadband signal.. This interference can be present even if the wiring has a filter on the end of it.

The best advice is buy fit and use a filtered faceplate. Although any type will help, the favourite is the VDSL type supplied by RunITDirect shown in Scubbies post.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

For wireless issues after internal wiring problems are fixed:
      Try channel 12 or 13, no many wireless devices use these channels and are normally interference free even better if no other wifi routers are in range using channel 11.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast