Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Disconnection Issue

This is a discussion on Disconnection Issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, Not a new problem at all but was just asking for a few ideas anyway. Had Sky Broadband ...

robnobleuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01278
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Disconnection Issue

Hi All,

Not a new problem at all but was just asking for a few ideas anyway.
      Had Sky Broadband for a while now, since the start of the year. No problems at all, connection much more stable than what we had with BT, no drop-outs for well over a month. Recently, in the past month the connection has been dropping about once or twice a day, sometimes it'll stay fine four about 48 hours, the drop again. When this first started happening I connected to the master socket to rule out any internal problems, however the problem remains. This morning my noise margin had gone up to about 10db, usually around 6 and my sync speed down to about 11,000 from 15,000 ish. Any ideas on what could be the problem? I've checked all the wiring to the router and that's fine, nothing altered.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Disconnection Issue

Could you perform a 'quiet line test' by using a corded telephone?

Plug the corded telephone into the Master Socket and dial '1'. Listen carefully for any noise on the line such as crackling or loud hissing. You may hear a little background noise, but this should be fine. If the router is also connected at the same time you may also hear some high pitched noise akin to a Fax machine.

If you do hear any crackling or loud hissing, then you need to contact your call provider (i.e. Sky Talk if you pay them you line rental).

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Carried out one about half an hour ago and all was fine. A few weeks ago I did a test (Connected to master socket) and I did notice crackling but it then cleared.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

How did it clear? Did BTO come out and make a repair or did the weather improve?

Crackling can indicate a broken line. It your telephone line were to travel overhead between telegraph poles and the wind blows, are things worse? It has been known for trees to brush against the line and damage it.

Another potential issue is water getting into underground cables or perhaps routs growing into them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Nope, no one came out and fixed it, just seemed to clear. The line is over-head, telegraph pole across the road, no trees or any obstructions however. I'll try and keep an eye on any weather conditions, as far as I know we've not had too much rain and everything was fine last night when there was another disconnection.