Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 60k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

How to connect your CCTV system to your router

This is a discussion on How to connect your CCTV system to your router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I will start by saying this is not a definitive guide and will not work for everyone. I have ...

1540phil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

How to connect your CCTV system to your router

Hello, I will start by saying this is not a definitive guide and will not work for everyone. I have created this thread as a thank you to those on this forum that have helped me succeed, and a 'how to' for those about to start out.

I bought a Swann DVR4-1300 which I bought off the shelf as a CCTV system that is easy to install. And you can view your cameras on a smart phone app. All credit to swann for the first part, the cameras and the DVR was easy to install.
      HOWEVER you cannot just download the smartphone app and watch your cameras!

So here is how I did it:

Firstly install your cameras, hook them up to your DVR, run through the instructions to set up the system as it stands unconnected to your router. You have a choice of
      A) placing your DVR near your router (but bear in mind if you are burgled and your electrical items are stolen, your DVR is likely to be stolen too!)
      B) stashing your router in a hidden location and running a long Ethernet cable. This the option I chose and is easy to sort out.

Worthy of noting is that you can control your DVR remotely from devices connected through your router so there is no real need to access your DVR with its remote control after its all been installed.

RIGHT now the bit that had me foxed for a while as there is little information in the instructions.

YOU MUST CREATE A Dynamic DNS!
      this is an address that acts as an IP address, but never changes. The host service you choose keep updating your DNS with your ever changing IP address.

Again you have a choice, there are free versions out there but these need to be updated manually by you ever 30 days. I opted for the second option which was to purchase 12 months service with dyndns.com. I chose the dyndns pro that cost about £12 for the year.
      REMEMBER the login and password you create for this site as you will need this later.
      Go through the very simple instructions on their website to set up a host name. It links to your current IP and bobs your uncle. Download their DNA updater on your computer and choose this to run in the background. This way it updates your IP address to your DNS host name everything you log on your computer.

RIGHT, now that's set up we'll move on to the set up of the system.
      THE DVR.

Go onto the dvr setup screen and move to the menu, then network setup
      Now I tried leaving the settings as standard, but for some reason it just didn't work. I assume there was some conflict with the ports set as default. Changed to those below it just works.
      change the settings to those described below

Network setup
      IP type, static
      upnp, enable
      mobile port, 8100
      media port, 8000
      web port, 00085
      (I tried the default port numbers over and over again so on the advice of other users of this forum I tried the above port numbers which worked straight away! So whilst I'm not saying you must use these port numbers, it worked for me.)
      ip address, 192.168.0.5 (this the the ip address you create for the dvr)
      Netmask, 255.255.255.000
      gateway, 192.168.0.1 (this is the ip address for my sky router)
      Dns1, 000.000.000.000
      dns2, 000.000.000.000

Now move onto the DNS setup screen
      change the settings to those below

Dns setup
      ddns, enable
      server, dyndns
      host name, (the host name You have created)
      Username, the dyndns website username
      password, the dyndns website password

Run a DNS test and all should work fine, it should come back with a message test successful.

THAT IS ALL YOU NEED TO DO TO YOUR DVR

Now you must change the settings of your sky router

Type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of a computer connected to your router (wired or wirelessly). This will open up a window asking for a user and password. User is admin, password is sky. This takes you to the setup screen of your router.

Firstly click on the SECURITY tab, then SERVICES tab.
      here you need to create 3 services
      DVR1 TCP/UDP port 85
      DVR2 TCP/UDP port 8000
      DVR3 TCP/UDP port 8100

Then click onto the FIREWALL RULES.
      here you need to add the 3 services you have just created.
      In the inbound services section, click add.
      find the port name and number you have created for DVR1 and add.
      Select always allow
      Put the IP address for your DVR (the one you created on the DVR setup)
      WAN users - all
      log - always
      do that for all 3 services you created DVR1, DVR2, DVR3

NOW click on the ADVANCED tab.
      then UPNP
      tick enable UPNP.

NOW click on DYNAMIC DNS
      Add all the settings for your dns host name (the bit you created with DYNDNS (or whoever you choose)
      Remember the username is the one you use to log on to the DNS website with. (you will have chosen this login when you registered with the DYN provider.)

If you have succeeded by this point then your settings should look something like this.

Sky router settings
      Upnp settings onActive
      Active Protocol Int. Port Ext. Port IP Address
      Active TCP 85 85 192.168.0.5
      Active TCP 8000 8000 192.168.0.5
      Active TCP 8100 8100 192.168.0.5

Firewall settings
      # Enable Service Name Action LAN Users WAN Servers Log
      Default Yes Any ALLOW always Any Any Never

# Enable Service Name Action LAN Server IP address WAN Users Log
      1 DVR1 Allow always 192.168.0.5(85:85) 0.0.0.0 (1:65535) Always
      2 DVR2 Allow always 192.168.0.5(8000:8000) 0.0.0.0 (1:65535) Always
      3 DVR3 Allow always 192.168.0.5(8100:8100) 0.0.0.0 (1:65535) Always
      Default Yes Any BLOCK always Any Any Never

Finally _Click ADVANCED, LAN IP setup and reserve the IP address for your DVR. This will ensure it receives the same IP address even after a power down of the system. (thanks Isitme)

From here on all should be good.

Install the DVR software disc onto your laptop and it should connect wirelessly and work fine. On the setup for the program.
      The IP address is the IP address for your DVR
      the port is media port 8000
      the username is the one you set for the DVR on setup
      the password is the one you set for the DVR on setup.
      The connection type is LAN

Download any apps you need. iPhone, iPad, android.

On the setup screens for these make sure, if connecting your
      iPad over the wifi
      the IP is the one you have used for your DVR (not the router)
      The port you need is the mobile port 8100

On the setup screen for your
      phone app.
      The IP address is your DNS host name
      the port is the mobile port 8100
      FOR THIS APP TO WORK ON IPHONE OR ANDROID YOU MUST NOT USE WIFI ON YOUR PHONE. This conflicts and will not work. Just use 3G.

Thats how I did it after a week of mistakes, staying up late at night kicking things, reading all about Dynamic DNS and port forwarding, and with loads of help from people on this forum.

Seen as I couldn't find a 'HOW TO' for setting up your CCTV system, here is how I did it.

Best of luck and don't give up. There is a way around everything.

Last edited by 1540phil; 19-09-12 at 08:29 PM.
      dholdi and jokenball like this.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1540phil For This Useful Post:

dholdi (18-09-12),jokenball (19-09-12)

3. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: How to connect your CCTV system to your router

I am in the midst of deciding what cctv system to go for and this has answered a few questions I had in my head so thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

Glad to be of help. It might seem a bit of a hassle but if you have smart phones and want to keep an eye out at home it's well worth it. You can even control the pan/tilt cameras from within the app too.

jokenball is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ballymena (NIBM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Thanks so much for posting this. I tried installing a CCTV system a few months ago & got completely stumped when it came to viewing the camera from outside my home network. I gave up on ever being able to use it from outside the home. I'll now have to give it another shot with these instructions

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,421 Posts

A very useful contribution, however there are a couple of points I have noticed. Where you say 'YOU MUST CREATE A DNS!' The proper term is Dynamic DNS.

The ports you show are peculiar to the Swan system any one trying to set up a different system will experience difficulties. They should consult the literature for their own system to find out what ports should be used.

One other point is that you must reserve the address of the DVR in the routers Address Reservation list. If you don't and for any reason the system is switched off, the address may be given to another device by the DHCP server when it is switched back on. If you reserve it this will not happen, only the DVR will always get this address.

One final thing, when you have got everything up and running, make a Backup of the routers settings and keep it somewhere on your PC. This way everything can be returned easily should you be forced to reset your router.

Maybe you would like to edit your post to take these into account.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

1540phil (19-09-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

I will gladly edit my post.
      I did not reserve my address for the DVR (now done) and I'll change the DNS bit

As for the ports, my system would not work with those advised by the Swann literature. It was only down to the help of others on here advising other port values that I was able to get it working. I will mention your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      A very useful contribution, however there are a couple of points I have noticed. Where you say 'YOU MUST CREATE A DNS!' The proper term is Dynamic DNS.

The ports you show are peculiar to the Swan system any one trying to set up a different system will experience difficulties. They should consult the literature for their own system to find out what ports should be used.

One other point is that you must reserve the address of the DVR in the routers Address Reservation list. If you don't and for any reason the system is switched off, the address may be given to another device by the DHCP server when it is switched back on. If you reserve it this will not happen, only the DVR will always get this address.

One final thing, when you have got everything up and running, make a Backup of the routers settings and keep it somewhere on your PC. This way everything can be returned easily should you be forced to reset your router.

Maybe you would like to edit your post to take these into account.

HA54SYM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1540phil View Post
      Hello, I will start by saying this is not a definitive guide and will not work for everyone. I have created this thread as a thank you to those on this forum that have helped me succeed, and a 'how to' for those about to start out.

I bought a Swann DVR4-1300 which I bought off the shelf as a CCTV system that is easy to install. And you can view your cameras on a smart phone app. All credit to swann for the first part, the cameras and the DVR was easy to install.
      HOWEVER you cannot just download the smartphone app and watch your cameras!

So here is how I did it:

Firstly install your cameras, hook them up to your DVR, run through the instructions to set up the system as it stands unconnected to your router. You have a choice of
      A) placing your DVR near your router (but bear in mind if you are burgled and your electrical items are stolen, your DVR is likely to be stolen too!)
      B) stashing your router in a hidden location and running a long Ethernet cable. This the option I chose and is easy to sort out.

Worthy of noting is that you can control your DVR remotely from devices connected through your router so there is no real need to access your DVR with its remote control after its all been installed.

RIGHT now the bit that had me foxed for a while as there is little information in the instructions.

YOU MUST CREATE A Dynamic DNS!
      this is an address that acts as an IP address, but never changes. The host service you choose keep updating your DNS with your ever changing IP address.

Again you have a choice, there are free versions out there but these need to be updated manually by you ever 30 days. I opted for the second option which was to purchase 12 months service with dyndns.com. I chose the dyndns pro that cost about £12 for the year.
      REMEMBER the login and password you create for this site as you will need this later.
      Go through the very simple instructions on their website to set up a host name. It links to your current IP and bobs your uncle. Download their DNA updater on your computer and choose this to run in the background. This way it updates your IP address to your DNS host name everything you log on your computer.

RIGHT, now that's set up we'll move on to the set up of the system.
      THE DVR.

Go onto the dvr setup screen and move to the menu, then network setup
      Now I tried leaving the settings as standard, but for some reason it just didn't work. I assume there was some conflict with the ports set as default. Changed to those below it just works.
      change the settings to those described below

Network setup
      IP type, static
      upnp, enable
      mobile port, 8100
      media port, 8000
      web port, 00085
      (I tried the default port numbers over and over again so on the advice of other users of this forum I tried the above port numbers which worked straight away! So whilst I'm not saying you must use these port numbers, it worked for me.)
      ip address, 192.168.0.5 (this the the ip address you create for the dvr)
      Netmask, 255.255.255.000
      gateway, 192.168.0.1 (this is the ip address for my sky router)
      Dns1, 000.000.000.000
      dns2, 000.000.000.000

Now move onto the DNS setup screen
      change the settings to those below

Dns setup
      ddns, enable
      server, dyndns
      host name, (the host name You have created)
      Username, the dyndns website username
      password, the dyndns website password

Run a DNS test and all should work fine, it should come back with a message test successful.

THAT IS ALL YOU NEED TO DO TO YOUR DVR

Now you must change the settings of your sky router

Type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of a computer connected to your router (wired or wirelessly). This will open up a window asking for a user and password. User is admin, password is sky. This takes you to the setup screen of your router.

Firstly click on the SECURITY tab, then SERVICES tab.
      here you need to create 3 services
      DVR1 TCP/UDP port 85
      DVR2 TCP/UDP port 8000
      DVR3 TCP/UDP port 8100

Then click onto the FIREWALL RULES.
      here you need to add the 3 services you have just created.
      In the inbound services section, click add.
      find the port name and number you have created for DVR1 and add.
      Select always allow
      Put the IP address for your DVR (the one you created on the DVR setup)
      WAN users - all
      log - always
      do that for all 3 services you created DVR1, DVR2, DVR3

NOW click on the ADVANCED tab.
      then UPNP
      tick enable UPNP.

NOW click on DYNAMIC DNS
      Add all the settings for your dns host name (the bit you created with DYNDNS (or whoever you choose)
      Remember the username is the one you use to log on to the DNS website with. (you will have chosen this login when you registered with the DYN provider.)

If you have succeeded by this point then your settings should look something like this.

Sky router settings
      Upnp settings onActive
      Active Protocol Int. Port Ext. Port IP Address
      Active TCP 85 85 192.168.0.5
      Active TCP 8000 8000 192.168.0.5
      Active TCP 8100 8100 192.168.0.5

Firewall settings
      # Enable Service Name Action LAN Users WAN Servers Log
      Default Yes Any ALLOW always Any Any Never

# Enable Service Name Action LAN Server IP address WAN Users Log
      1 DVR1 Allow always 192.168.0.5(85:85) 0.0.0.0 (1:65535) Always
      2 DVR2 Allow always 192.168.0.5(8000:8000) 0.0.0.0 (1:65535) Always
      3 DVR3 Allow always 192.168.0.5(8100:8100) 0.0.0.0 (1:65535) Always
      Default Yes Any BLOCK always Any Any Never
      Finally _Click ADVANCED, LAN IP setup and reserve the IP address for your DVR. This will ensure it receives the same IP address even after a power down of the system. (thanks Isitme)

From here on all should be good.

Install the DVR software disc onto your laptop and it should connect wirelessly and work fine. On the setup for the program.
      The IP address is the IP address for your DVR
      the port is media port 8000
      The connection type is LAN

Download any apps you need. iPhone, iPad, android.

On the setup screens for these make sure, if connecting your
      iPad over the wifi
      the IP is the one you have used for your DVR (not the router)
      The port you need is the mobile port 8100

On the setup screen for your
      phone app.
      The IP address is your DNS host name
      the port is the mobile port 8100
      FOR THIS APP TO WORK ON IPHONE OR ANDROID YOU MUST NOT USE WIFI ON YOUR PHONE. This conflicts and will not work. Just use 3G.

Thats how I did it after a week of mistakes, staying up late at night kicking things, reading all about Dynamic DNS and port forwarding, and with loads of help from people on this forum.

Seen as I couldn't find a 'HOW TO' for setting up your CCTV system, here is how I did it.

Best of luck and don't give up. There is a way around everything.

Hi,

Thanks for this, but can anyone help me?

Basically I copied everything from above, and can view the cameras on my laptop over the LAN on the mdeia port (9000), when on the same wifi as the DVR/Router.

I can also get (although I need to confirm again) the sawnnapp, viewing on my iphone when on 3G from the mobile 8100 port.

However I cannot acess the cameras via the wifi on my home LAN, via Ipad or Iphone on the Swannapp?

Trying to do it with the router IP address and port 8100 just says "connect to server fail".

Is there a reason why you cannot acess the system via the same wifi signal from the router????

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HA54SYM View Post
      Hi,

Thanks for this, but can anyone help me?

Basically I copied everything from above, and can view the cameras on my laptop over the LAN on the mdeia port (9000), when on the same wifi as the DVR/Router.

I can also get (although I need to confirm again) the sawnnapp, viewing on my iphone when on 3G from the mobile 8100 port.

However I cannot acess the cameras via the wifi on my home LAN, via Ipad or Iphone on the Swannapp?

Trying to do it with the router IP address and port 8100 just says "connect to server fail".

Is there a reason why you cannot acess the system via the same wifi signal from the router????

Thanks in advance,

Dave
      i cannot access the system on my smartphone (apple or otherwise) with wifi switched on. You need to disable the wifi on your phone to view the app.

However I can view on my iPad at home via the router using the IP address of the dvr, and selecting the mobile port (8100).

HA54SYM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply, however this is what I cannot get, and want. (on ipad on same wifi).

Is there some setting I'm missing to use this mobile port?

Dave

Exchange:
      Thanks

On the settings within the iPad app,

name: "bobs CCTV" (it doesn't matter what name you give it)
      Address: the permanent IP address of your dvr (not router or DNS)
      Port: mobile port (for mine as described in the how to this is 8100)
      user: the username you set up the dvr with
      password: password
      chanels: the number of cameras you have.

With it set up like that for your iPad on your home wifi it should work ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you do a screen shot of the iPad app settings?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast