Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Phoneline wiring question

This is a discussion on Phoneline wiring question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey all need some advice. This house has really old wiring the master socket (and i know its the master ...

blackmesa8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Phoneline wiring question

Hey all need some advice.
      This house has really old wiring the master socket (and i know its the master socket cause its the only one in the house) doesn't even have a test socket behind it. It is some ancient thing that has "T" on it instead of BT. It has to be from the 70s or earlier or something.
      My issue apart from the old wiring is my noise margin can vary quite alot throughout the day.
      I have been monitoring the noise margin quite closely for well, on and off for over a year and it seems to follow the same pattern without change.
      It seems to peak at around 8am at around 8.1db then start dropping slowly till 6pm where it can be as low as 5.2db by about 8pm it starts to increase again.
      It will then keep increasing till of coarse it gets to 8am where its back to around the 8db level. Syncing at around 7 to 9:30am due to this has always given me the best speed and the noise margin dropping later on in the day has never caused the line to drop so it seems to hang in there and remain with a stable sync.
      I reckon its my ancient internal wiring causing this and yes i have removed the ringwire that improved my speed from 6.6mb to 8.1mbit so made quite a difference!

My main question is.
      Who do i contact to get my internal wiring improved and a new master socket fitted? My phoneline is with talk talk for voice and with Sky LLU for broadband cause i got it before sky stopped doing broadband without there voice line services. Do i contact Sky, Talk talk or even BT?
      last 2 questions.
      How much is it likely to cost to get the internal wiring upgraded and a new master socket installed. And is it likely to actually help my speeds or at least stabilize my noise margin. If it does any of that ill see it as a success and worth it.

This is my current line stats as of 11:18am

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8189 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43.5db 24.9db
      Noise Margin 7.4db 16.0db

Thanks for any replies
      Blackmesa8

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Phoneline wiring question

If your phone rental is with TalkTalk, then you will have to contact them for any changes to the wiring. Cost would be 100-150. To be honest what you describe is quite normal, the noise margin will fluctuate through 24 hours, irrespective of your internal wiring. Your stats look good, with a good speed for your attenuation. I doubt if you will get any improvement with a new socket.

One thing that confuses me is that you say you removed the ring wire. Normally you would not have a ring wire unless you had an extension. How many wires are connected to the faceplate. If it is the sole socket you should only have 2, one on the number 2 terminal and one on the number 5. If you have more than this, you have an extension you don't know about.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

blackmesa8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Hi thanks for the reply.
      If there was a 2nd socket somewhere in the house its not there anymore, well unless its in the loft one place i rarely go but i doubt it. It's not even floor boarded up there u can fall through the floor if you aint careful.
      I suppose its possible a previous family had a 2nd phone socket and got it removed or something. Only one cable goes into the master socket and if i follow it. It leads to a weird little box right where the phoneline actually comes into the house.

Blackmesa8

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If there is only one wire into and out of the 'weird little box' then you will only have one socket. The wire you disconnected must have been fitted in error. Although not strictly a ring wire it may have had a bad effect on your broadband. Unless the little box is an RF2 filter it will have little effect on your broadband. If it were you would have lots of problems, as it knocks out the ADSL signal. Unless you have a good reason, leave well alone.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.