Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sudden speed drop of 50% - Neighbours also having same problem - Getting nowhere fast...

This is a discussion on Sudden speed drop of 50% - Neighbours also having same problem - Getting nowhere fast... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I must of been having an odd mo because for some reason it had also been changed from bskyb to ...

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Sudden speed drop of 50% - Neighbours also having same problem - Getting nowhere fast...

I must of been having an odd mo because for some reason it had also been changed from bskyb to busby.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Re: Sudden speed drop of 50% - Neighbours also having same problem - Getting nowhere fast...

That should get about 7.2Mbit/s on ADSL2+ providing everything is ok with the line.

The noise margin looks about right, however what the modem is not showing is the modulation so I can't see if that's been set to ADSL2 instead of ADSL2+ or something equally as stupid.

There are a few possibilities that spring to mind since it's affecting multiple users in the same area, but without more information I can't be more precise.

1) Sky have replaced/upgraded the equipment at the exchange and the line profile has changed.

2) Openreach have replaced a section of cable somewhere between the exchange and your street and the new cable isn't as good as the old one was, seems rather unlikely but not impossible.

3) There's some kind of interference in the area that's knocking out a load of the frequencies that the ADSL2+ is using.

The first one would be the best case for you as it should hopefully stand the best chance of being fixed providing it gets to the right person at sky they can probably reconfigure the port to try and improve things.

I really hope it's not either of the other 2 as I doubt openreach will replace a length of cable for a couple of Mbit/s lost off broadband speed and if it's interference then it's going to be a real headache to get sorted as it requires someone to track down the source and then depending what it is it may or may not be possible to get it rectified once located.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12