Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Could my XNTE be causing me problems?

This is a discussion on Could my XNTE be causing me problems? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Evening all, Just looking for some advice really, i have been having a few issues with disconnects on my line ...

craney33 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Braintree
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+

Could my XNTE be causing me problems?

Evening all,

Just looking for some advice really, i have been having a few issues with disconnects on my line as of late and i just cant pin point the reason to why it is. i have one of these horrible XNTE's so i dont have a test socket to play with. A brief outline of my setup, i live in a new build so i have alot of phone sockets round the house 7 in total. I have a filtered faceplate on the 1st socket into my house which my billion 7800n router is plugged into as well as my cordless telephone. I dont actually have anything else plugged into any of the sockets in the house so i had considered disconnecting the daisy changed extensions from my filtered faceplate asi wont be using them.

I'll post my current stats as well

Uploaded with

My line is setup for g.dmt as its rather long! I decided to check my XNTE as i cant help but think these things cant be that weather resistant. When i opened it up i can safely say it was damp inside and the wires looked to be dirty and wet. I have a picture below

Uploaded with

Just curious to know if damp wet wires could be a cause for disconnects and very low SNR's throughout the day, what do you think?

Thanks again

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      St Helens
      Blog Entries

Re: Could my XNTE be causing me problems?

tbh It doesn't look like anything is wrong there.

All the connections look fine, the black cable on the left is the BT one imo and the white is the internal ones.

Only pins 2 and 5 look to be connected, thus negating an issue with a ring wire. (Blue/White and White/Blue are the only needed ones) And these look to be in fine order.

Your upload speed is very low though, it looks to me like you have been capped as it is reading 416 (possibly for stability reasons)

As for download speed, I feel that you are about at the limit tbh

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

jayhab is online now Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!

I've not seen the insides of one of those before, however it looks as though it's been wired up bypassing the 'gubbings'. Don't know if there's any relevance, but looks as though the Incoming bt cable should be connected to the red block, with your white cable connected to the clear block on the right. If there's any functioning parts in the 'block' that is being bypassed, your line may be being affected.

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat

Mine line comes in from a pole across the road into a simple junction box. Two wires only out of about eight, no bell wire, and no gubbinses, just a straight connection into the house wiring!

Just make sure that the connectors are high up (above the yellow thingy) with the wires below. That way, no water can run into the connectors.
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

The XNTE box was installed so that BTO's responsibility ended outside the home and they could do testing there instead of going inside.

However when it comes to ADSL2+ the connection speed is often affected as people can't use the Master Socket or fit a filtered faceplate.

When FTTC was launched, the XNTE found itself sent to the graveyard and should no longer be installed with new properties.

With regards to the example that craney33 has posted above, a BTO Engineer has bypassed the XNTE's Test Socket and I hope he has fitted a proper NTE5 socket inside. The Engineer has also used Gel Crimps to join the wire from the cabinet to the internal wiring. These prevent any corrosion as no air will get to the copper.

So other than changing the wire from the XNTE to the NTE5 socket to CW1128 and using gel crimps on that join, there is very little else which can be done here.

CW1128 Twisted Pair Telephone Cable, Jelly Filled 5 Pair 10M

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms