Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

AC/DC connection cause of high pings?

This is a discussion on AC/DC connection cause of high pings? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie The settings are here: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...tions-faq.html Encapsulation: PPPoA VPI/VCI: 0/38 Multiplexing: VC Ahh. Thank you very much ...

SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ASUS DSL-N66U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: AC/DC connection cause of high pings?

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The settings are here:

Non-Sky Router Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Encapsulation: PPPoA
      VPI/VCI: 0/38
      Multiplexing: VC

Ahh. Thank you very much for the help!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You will get a slightly different sync speed with different chipsets. As your sync is well below 8mb, you might want to try G.DMT as the DSL Mode. Quite often this will give a better result. I would guess you will sync at 4096kbps or better.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You will get a slightly different sync speed with different chipsets. As your sync is well below 8mb, you might want to try G.DMT as the DSL Mode. Quite often this will give a better result. I would guess you will sync at 4096kbps or better.
      Done. Its still running at 3776kbps. What am I doing wrong here? Haha.

Is it anything to do with it being VC based or LLC based?

EDIT: ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3776 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 7 db

I have noticed that my Noise Margin is slightly higher than it was before? Why would it just suddenly change on its own. Surely this is not controlled by the router but by the people at "the other end".
      Last edited by SOF006; 17-09-12 at 11:58 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have noticed that my Noise Margin is slightly higher than it was before? Why would it just suddenly change on its own. Surely this is not controlled by the router but by the people at "the other end".
      The reason it has gone up is that G.DMT uses less of the frequency than ADSL2+. Some of the interference on your line is occurring in the higher frequency used by ADSL2+, thus reducing your noise margin. Unfortunately your line has been capped at 3776 which means you can get no higher. If it were not capped I would guess you would be syncing at 4384 with a 7 db margin. What you can try is calling Sky and asking them to raise you cap. A 4608/864 setting would be good. You could also ask them to change your line mode to G.DMT and reconfigure the line, but for some reason they are often reluctant to do this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The reason it has gone up is that G.DMT uses less of the frequency than ADSL2+. Some of the interference on your line is occurring in the higher frequency used by ADSL2+, thus reducing your noise margin. Unfortunately your line has been capped at 3776 which means you can get no higher. If it were not capped I would guess you would be syncing at 4384 with a 7 db margin. What you can try is calling Sky and asking them to raise you cap. A 4608/864 setting would be good. You could also ask them to change your line mode to G.DMT and reconfigure the line, but for some reason they are often reluctant to do this.
      Hmm. I'll see what I can do. I have rang up sky in the past.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12