Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Router on or off?

This is a discussion on Router on or off? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Same here always left on, same with my previous Netgear router with my old ISP...I also use the legs and ...

lrostoke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle WMNEW
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Same here always left on, same with my previous Netgear router with my old ISP...I also use the legs and have it vertical..

2. Advertisement
      StevieBoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Reading
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Irostoke what are your views on the 2 questions asked in my previous posting in this thread?

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Once you are up and running and have tweaked your speed as you wish, there is no need to reboot, unless you lose connection.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Hugsie it sounds like the moral of this particular story is "if it ain't broke don't fix it".Is rebooting mainly around speed of connection then?
      Also what about my first question.Cheers.

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks
      No really it is aound making a connection, so if you have made changes to your set up and want to see if it had any effect you can force a reboot and see if your sync speed changes. Rebooting when you have a laggy connection due to low SNR can also help by syncing you at a lower speed to improve stability by raising your SNR.

lrostoke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle WMNEW
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Q1..No need really, I did but everything was working fine before I did

Q2..If like mentioned you have no problems , speeds are good then just leave it alone....It seems with SKY's network though that reboots are needed from time to time to fix the occasional slow downs that seem to happen..

By slow downs I mean all will be working well, then you notice pages are slow to load etc, doing speed checks at these times often gives me download speeds less than 512kbit, but a reboot puts me back over 2 mbits..this is obviously a fault with SKY's network and seems pretty widespread, but if the network was working right reboots shouldn't be needed...

I personally leave mine on because I've a 3 PC network in the house all in different rooms and means you can go to any of the PC's and just start using the net

Kempshott is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by StevieBoy View Post
      Can I get a general consensus as to whether people feel it's best to leave your router on at all times or to switch it off when not in use. Our good friend Wheelie previously advised that it's best left on, as the fluctuation between hot and cold is not good for the guts of the thing. As I've been reading different posts it seems that there appears to be a difference of opinion on this matter.
      I disconnect mine (phone and power) during thunderstorms if I'm at home. There was a big one here two nights ago and a work colleague's router was damaged by a surge.
      Kempshott

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Funny you should say that Kempshott 'cos I was umming and arring as to whether I should do the same thing when the flashes started.

I've enjoyed the answers given in this thread 'cos as I said previously I know my way around a few things,am not particularly techy but will never be afraid to ask any question,daft as it may sound at the time.

Many thanks to everybody,so far, who has taken the time to answer those questions in a respectful and informative fashion. Cheers.

I know it's the wrong forum but as you may have guessed I support Reading and just need us to get a result against Chelski at the weekend. Come on URZZZZZ!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12