Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sync speed higher with sky box connected to router

This is a discussion on Sync speed higher with sky box connected to router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Has anyone heard of this before? If I have the sky box connected to the router the router will sync ...

paul d is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: welwyn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sync speed higher with sky box connected to router

Has anyone heard of this before?

If I have the sky box connected to the router the router will sync at a higher speed, I tried taking the ethernet cable out of the router while it's sync'd and the noise margin drops by 2, which would be why it sync's at a lower speed without it, but why would it do this? I've unplugged the sky box from the mains, tried new ethernet cables and tried the different ports on the router and I get the same result, even having the cable connected to the router and nothing else helps a little. Could the router be faulty?

It might seem strange that I'm bothered about an increase in speed but I'm having issues with rein and want to rule out any other problems first.

Thanks
      Paul

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Re: Sync speed higher with sky box connected to router

I haven't seen anything like this previously mentioned on here.

Is your STB correctly connected on the telephone line as well? (i.e. is it plugged into a microfilter and not just the splitter?)

Could you also please post your connection stats both with and without the STB connected please?

How to get your Sky Router statistics

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

The router is plugged in to a filtered faceplate, openreach fitted one of their fibre ones last time they were here so I'm not using microfilters, also removing the phone and sky box doesn't change anything, and It's the same if I plug a microfilter in to the test socket.

It had been suggested to me to try a different psu as I have now seen a 7db change in the noise margin by removing the ethernet cable with the sagem psu. So I did a test with a different psu, I switched the router on without the ethernet cable in, I then plugged in the ethernet cable and the noise margin increased by 1, I then plugged the ethernet in to the sky box which was unplugged from everything else and the noise margin went up by 1, I then plugged the sky box in to the mains but didn't switch the mains on and the noise margin went up by 1.5, I then plugged the scart lead from the tv in to the sky box and the noise margin went up by 0.75, I didn't get any changes by plugging the aerial or dish cables in or connecting the phone or switching the mains on.

I does seem as if the changes I get in the noise margin are bigger the higher the noise margin is after a resync. However the changes are definitely smaller with the different psu.

with ethernet cable
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3183 kbps 767 kbps
      Line Attenuation 57.5 dB 32.6 dB
      Noise Margin 6.7 dB 14.9 dB

without ethernet cable
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3183 kbps 767 kbps
      Line Attenuation 57.5 dB 32.6 dB
      Noise Margin 5.8 dB 14.9 dB

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Thanks for getting back. I am thinking through this a little more.

It is very unusual for something like this to happen. Could I ask you to check through the mains connections please? Can you check that any sockets and leads are all correctly wired up, especially any earth connections.

Have you ever opened up your Sky STB? Which model is it? One concern I have may be that PSU in the Sky STB may have developed a fault or something may be touching the internal metal case.

I would unplug things from the mains and use a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) to check for circuit continuity.

Many new extensions bought in the shops are put together with break-off screws. This makes it impossible for anyone to open them up later.

Don't just leave it with the mains connections either. Do check the terrestrial aerial lead too. Make sure that any and all cables connected are correctly wired.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Normally it would be the other way round, ie, the noise margin would drop when the box is plugged in. Even though you have a filtered faceplate can you try plugging the STB into a filter.

I think it is a power problem which somehow is being cleaned up when the box is plugged in. It is certainly a strange one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply's.

I will check all the leads later, and see if I can find anything.

If it was the psu in the sky box I wouldn't of thought it would make a difference when the sky box is completely unplugged from everything else and unless the sky box has a fault which has damaged the router just plugging an ethernet cable into the router and leaving the other end unplugged wouldn't cause the noise margin to increase.

I haven't opened the box before, the box is an amstrad sky+ hd, I don't know the exact model number but it's less than a year old.

I was thinking that as the different psu reduces the noise margin changes that it could be interference through the mains as the psu I'm using now does have one of those ferrite cylinder things on the cable whereas the sagem one doesn't, does that sound plausible.

I tried putting a filter on the phone line for the sky box but there was no change and the router and phone are connected to the test socket through a microfilter at the moment but it hasn't help.

Thanks

Another update. I've now moved my desktop downstairs and have connected that to the router instead of the sky box and the result is the same, having something connected to the router by ethernet cable improves the noise margin so it's not the sky box that's the issue.

I've also tried plugging the router in to different mains sockets and even turn all the electricity off at the circuit breaker except for the socket the router was plugged in, again I got the same results. So it's got to be a faulty router or I'm getting interference from outside the house possible through the mains as there's a difference between the two psu's.

So any ideas, I phoned sky and they went through there test and they could see the difference when I unplugged the ethernet cable, but they are not willing to send out another router to test at this point

Some good news though as the rein interference seems to have gone, I was convinced it was coming from the school across the road and after they had some electricians there at the beginning of the week, it looked light they were working on the fluorescent lights, we haven't had any more rein.

Edit

After finding the post on here about getting your username and password from the router I tried the router I had from when I was with talktalk, although the sky router connects by mer the talktalk one which is a huawei hg520s connects by pppoa and it does exactly the same thing so it can't be a faulty router so it just leaves interference that's being reduced by connecting something to the router by ethernet. A plus to using the other router is my sync speed has increased from 3.2 to 3.5.
      Last edited by paul d; 15-09-12 at 08:34 PM. Reason: edit

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

There is a thread on TB on the same subject, which has no real suggestions as to the cause. The poster was accused of speaking 'utter tosh' when he said it was happening, at least we have not ridiculed you. There is no real help there but as the poster ruled out his router, you might want to have a read as you are not alone. -
      Speed lower than expected? :: Technical Issues :: think broadband

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.