Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Are sky throttling / traffic managing my connection?

This is a discussion on Are sky throttling / traffic managing my connection? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As the title suggests, am I being throttled or traffic managed. I am on the Sky Broadband Connect package, and ...

Obeone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Router: Technicolour 582n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Are sky throttling / traffic managing my connection?

As the title suggests, am I being throttled or traffic managed. I am on the Sky Broadband Connect package, and although I have heard this product has a bad name I get a pretty constant 6.3 mbps connection. However, we have used the connection quite a bit over the last few days and have encountered quite a problem this evening whilst trying to stream a movie.

As well as a Sky package we also have an Apple TV2 box. As I understand it Apple do not degrade the download in order to take account of your connection speed as some companies do but stream a constant file size. I have my ATV2 set to standard definition and I believe Apple stream this at a constant 2mbps, so recommend a 2.5mbps download speed as a minimum. The way the box works is that it will not start the movie until it has enough in its buffer to ensure it can run without constant buffering, around 12% I think the figure is.

I have watched two such movies over the weekend without any incident whatsoever, not buffered once. However, when we sat down to watch a third movie tonight things went wrong from the start. There was a message straight away that said the movie would start in 19 minutes, seconds later that changed to 53 minutes then 31 minutes followed by 1 minute then the movie began. 7 minutes later the first buffering started which lasted for 7 minutes, the movie re-started but this time it only ran for 3 minutes followed by buffering for 3 minutes. This pattern then went on for the next 90 minutes until the film had finished. Needless to say this completely ruined our enjoyment.

I had run a speed test before the movie began on BT speedtester - result 4.4 mbps. I run the test again immediately after the movie had finished 3.9 mbps. I know there is more to traffic management than just headline speed figures.

What do others think - have Sky been shaping my connection due to overuse?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

re: Are sky throttling / traffic managing my connection?

I am on the Sky Broadband Connect package
      Yes at peak times in the evening normally.

You have an allowance and as soon as it looks like you will go over then it kicks in normally. ie 40gb / 31 = 1.290gb per day will normally fire it off iirc
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 28-08-12 at 12:36 AM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Are sky throttling / traffic managing my connection?

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Yes at peak times in the evening normally.

You have an allowance and as soon as it looks like you will go over then it kicks in normally. ie 40gb / 31 = 1.290gb per day will normally fire it off iirc
      So the behaviour I described whilst trying to watch the movie, is that indicative then of being throttled, despite the BT speedtester result showing a respectable figure?

If so, why do you think we got away with it on the previous two evenings. Not sure what two 90 minute SD films equate to? It's also not good for using the Anytime+ service either. Do all ISPs do this in the evenings or just Sky on this particular package? Sorry for the twenty questions routine but I'm not to happy now with this BB package.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

So the behaviour I described whilst trying to watch the movie, is that indicative then of being throttled, despite the BT speedtester result showing a respectable figure?
      Throttling is different to a speedtest. It is done using protocols, ie Torrents / FTP / etc etc

If you are on Connect, and you have hammered the internet or likely to go over the allowance per month based on average daily use, it is also after about 4pm and then at midnight is OK again, it is more than likely a sympton of being traffic managed.

It's also not good for using the Anytime+ service either.
      I was under the impression, it was not included in the calculations, I maybe wrong though.

Do all ISPs do this in the evenings or just Sky on this particular package?
      Any ISP that does not offer an LLU package, (Sky Connect is not LLU) means more than likely, that you would either have a lowish allowance for downloads or that you would be traffic shaped at some point.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 28-08-12 at 02:54 AM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

PS As a guide of size of downloads etc - Just checking the download options on iPlayer, Waterloo Road is approx 633MB for Desktop, 579MB for Windows Media Player, and 255MB for mobile devices. I would guess for streaming it maybe slightly less. (about an hour)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you look around the forum you will not find one positive recommendation for Connect. It is possibly the worst broadband package available. This is just one of the threads on the subject.-
      (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Your best bet is to look at your exchange details and if there is an LLU provider, go with them. If there is not, look for a re-badged BT product that does not throttle so severely. Even BT themselves are probably better than Connect.
      SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you look around the forum you will not find one positive recommendation for Connect. It is possibly the worst broadband package available. This is just one of the threads on the subject.-
      (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Your best bet is to look at your exchange details and if there is an LLU provider, go with them. If there is not, look for a re-badged BT product that does not throttle so severely. Even BT themselves are probably better than Connect.
      SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search
      A quick read via the link you provided makes pretty depressing reading regarding Connect. It makes you wonder how Sky get away with it. There is no LLU in my exchange, I've checked. I had thought about John Lewis for phone and BB, however, I've been told that they rent the service off Plusnet so wondering if they might be the best bet. Plusnet certainly appear to have some very encouraging reviews. From what I've been able to find out from Sky's T&C it looks like I will fair no better if I try to use Sky Anytime+ as that too comes off my daily usage cap. I'm angry at myself for ever falling for Sky's promises of a great service. Still I am out of contract so moving shouldn't be an issue. Am I right in thinking my Sky email address is mine for life, even if I move provider?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Plusnet certainly appear to have some very encouraging reviews.
      Plusnet pioneered Traffic Shaping, if it were me (having been with them previous to them deploying Elacoyas and their denial of them actually offering an unlimted service) I would give them a wide berth.

Am I right in thinking my Sky email address is mine for life, even if I move provider?
      Yes - I think you have to log in eevery now and then though to keep it active.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Bloomin Heck! this is a minefield isn't it? So John Lewis/Plusnet steer clear of. BT and Plusnet same company, Orange, terrible reputation ditto Talk Talk and most of the others from what I can see on non LLU exchanges. So how can I stream movies without being hammered and without paying a kings ransom every month?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

To be fair to BT and Plusnet, I am talking years ago, ie around 2004 ish - I have no idea how either compare now. If it is Movies etc then hopefully both will prioritise etc over Torrents and so on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast