Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Switching to Sky a question

This is a discussion on Switching to Sky a question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; A quick update I used the chat thing on BT 's site last night and I was advised the line ...

Gavin20 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Darlington
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router: Virgin Media Super Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Switching to Sky a question

A quick update I used the chat thing on BT's site last night and I was advised the line is unusable

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If it has been out of service for around 5 years it is probably disconnected at the pole, manhole, street cabinet or the exchange. BTO will connect it up again, or if you are very lucky, replace it with shiny new copper wires.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Gavin20 (19-08-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If it has been out of service for around 5 years it is probably disconnected at the pole, manhole, street cabinet or the exchange. BTO will connect it up again, or if you are very lucky, replace it with shiny new copper wires.
      Thanks for the reply I remember doing a check on the plus net website and they quoted me a charge of 50 for an engineer visit where as its free with sky hopefully I'll get a nice shiny new line.

Anyway before the Broadband installation I have Sky+ HD going in on Friday

I'll keep you posted on the phone line over the coming 2 and a bit weeks

Thanks

A progress update the TV is installed superb HD picture

The Sky Broadband Router has been sent out today via Parcel-force / Royal Mail

So far everything has gone very smoothly

It looks like a new line will be going in as I have got the first bill through and there is a credited 100 charge for the
      New Phone Line Installation

EDIT 17:56

I also received a tracking number and it seems like they've got the issues of them not working sorted as I put it in on the Royal Mail website and it worked its currently at the National Distribution Centre and they are currently processing it.
      Last edited by Gavin20; 31-08-12 at 06:56 PM.
      Paul2003 likes this.

Thanks

Just had a thought if BTO don't need to install a new line but just need to do some work and checks ect, would the engineer be able to replace the very old master socket with a new BTO one

The old socket is the same as this

Switching to Sky a question-485d1194380953-identifying-master-sockets-bt_master_socket_2.jpg

Also would they be able to install or leave me with a 15m extension kit to run outside to the back room where the Sky+HD box and Router is. I want to avoid running it through the house at all costs as there is a stair case and lots of carpet in the way

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

BTO are changing the old sockets when it comes to Fibre installations and some ADSL connections (when it is needed), but you will need to purchase a suitable Ethernet cable yourself for the Sky+ HD STB. To the best of my knowledge BTO only fit the extension kits when Fibre is installed.

With ADSL2+ you are far better off having the router near to the Master Socket. If the WiFi coverage is alright with the router beside the Master Socket, then fine. Use a Network Switch if you need multiple sockets by your TV/Sky STB.

If the WiFi would be better beside the TV, consider getting a WiFi Extender or something similar.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      BTO are changing the old sockets when it comes to Fibre installations and some ADSL connections (when it is needed), but you will need to purchase a suitable Ethernet cable yourself for the Sky+ HD STB. To the best of my knowledge BTO only fit the extension kits when Fibre is installed.

With ADSL2+ you are far better off having the router near to the Master Socket. If the WiFi coverage is alright with the router beside the Master Socket, then fine. Use a Network Switch if you need multiple sockets by your TV/Sky STB.

If the WiFi would be better beside the TV, consider getting a WiFi Extender or something similar.
      Thanks for the reply Scubbie, unfortunately the previous owners for some unknown reason got the master socket installed right next to the upstairs window where theirs no power supply near by.

I'll see what BTO suggest on Friday before buying anything

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Not the worst location, but obviously not an easy one in your case.

You may be able to get him to move the socket, but often they don't visit when connecting you to ADSL. If he doesn't visit or refuses to move it, you could look at moving it yourself. Although technically against BTO's conditions, new sockets are available from various stores and on-line sites.

The alternative would be to lay an electrical extension so that you can get power to the router.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

That is an NTE5 socket you have, almost the latest type, so unless it is faulty, BTO are unlikely to replace it. BTO will not supply a data extension for ADSL, only Fibre. 15m is pushing it a bit for an RJ11 cable, better with the router fairly close to the socket and use an ethernet cable to extend it. You can use a switch or an old router to give you more ports where you want them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Not the worst location, but obviously not an easy one in your case.

You may be able to get him to move the socket, but often they don't visit when connecting you to ADSL. If he doesn't visit or refuses to move it, you could look at moving it yourself. Although technically against BTO's conditions, new sockets are available from various stores and on-line sites.

The alternative would be to lay an electrical extension so that you can get power to the router.
      I think they come to you home if the line hasn't been used for more than 1 year don't they? this line aint been in use for around 5 year.

I'll see what the BTO engineer suggests on Friday, BTO have advised me the current line is "unusable"

If as has been said above I was thinking of getting this extension kit NTE2000 ADSL Extension Kit, 30M and then cutting it to size

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast