Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Throughput and low Noise Margin on Downstream

This is a discussion on Slow Throughput and low Noise Margin on Downstream within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all I have noticed that over the last few weeks the throughput (Speed) of my Sky Broadband has gotten ...

mcdona922 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Slow Throughput and low Noise Margin on Downstream

Hi all

I have noticed that over the last few weeks the throughput (Speed) of my Sky Broadband has gotten considerably slower, especially at night when the Network is that bit busier. It makes the like of Netflix impossible to watch due to it constantly buffering.

My Current Router stats are as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 19293 kbps 1157 kbps
      Line Attenuation 17.5 dB 10.4 dB
      Noise Margin 4.3 dB 9.3 dB

I have the router plugged directly into the NTE5 Master Socket via a Belkin High Quality RJ11 cable, which in turn is plugged directly into an ADSL Nation XTE-2005 filtered faceplate. As you can see my Noise Ratio seems a bit on the low side. It can be sitting on a steady 7.0dB one minute and then plumit to 4.3 dB the next, before returing to 7.0dB a few seconds later. I have tried changing the ADSL filter and plugging directly into the test socket behind the user panel, but nothing seems to rectify the issue.

I have noticed that it's raining right now and my Noise ratio has taken a nose dive.

Latest speed test

As you can see, not a great speed for a 19Mb connection.

I'm running out of ideas fast, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slow Throughput and low Noise Margin on Downstream-router-stats.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Slow Throughput and low Noise Margin on Downstream

ok if you have replace filtering and dsl cable then , if as you said line worse when rain happening, possible bad joint or water ingress into telephone line do you notice any noise on telephone calls? if so try telephone directly in test socket dial 0 for quiet line check if still noise contact tech support for telephone line testing

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Tenar

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

Can't hear any crackles or noise on the line, but I do recall a few calls kinda breaking up. This was instantly rectified when the number was redialled. I could probably count on one hand how many times this has happened and it didn't have any adverse effects on the Broadband at the time. I have since contacted SKY support who have run numerous Line tests...guess what? They all passed!

They have however suggested I try a new Router, so a new one is on its way. I'm not convinced that it will make any difference, but I suppose it's a process of elimination. I personally think this is either congestion as the SVBN card at the exchange is full, according to my friend who works for OpenReach, or there something physically wrong with the line.

Frustrating to say the least!
      Last edited by mcdona922; 15-08-12 at 11:42 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cool Re: Slow Throughput and low Noise Margin on Downstream - **UPDATE 17/08**

Hi guys

Having spent many any evening on the phone to SKY determined to get this issue rectified, it has finally been confirmed by the SKY Networks Team that FAULDHOUSE exchange does indeed have a congestion issue and has apparently been scheduled for an update. When however still remains uncertain.

I would like to thank SKY for wasting the best part of 2 weeks, having me chasing ghosts and swapping routers, when this was obviously known all along.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There are quite a few exchanges suffering from throughput issues. It boils down to the pipe from the exchange to the main network not being big enough to carry the traffic. The problem seems to have started around the time that Anytime+ became available.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The only saving grace I suppose is that SKY have offered me "a get of jail free" card. If i decide to move ISPs then they will waive any early termination charges.