Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Connection Speeds

This is a discussion on Slow Connection Speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I recently moved house and decided I would give Sky Unlimited broadband a shot. Sky's estimate on my line ...

gammasfor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Egham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Slow Connection Speeds

Hi, I recently moved house and decided I would give Sky Unlimited broadband a shot. Sky's estimate on my line was that I could get a maximum of between 12.9Mbps and 19.0Mbps.

During the DLM period, I admit that I kind of went against recommendations by occasionally powering off the router (unfortunately, due to my experience with previous service providers, it has become a bit of a habit to power cycle the router any time the connection drops for more than a minute). Also 7 days in I suddenly realised that having the router plugged in through a phone extension cord was not optimal (the router and microfilter are now connected directly to the telephone socket).

At the end of the DLM period, my connection details reported that I had been set at a cap of 4.1Mbps for download and 0.4Mbps for upload. Obviously this was a bit disappointing so initially I had an email exchange with Sky which did not get far. Another call to Sky led to more success but I was told that testing was currently taking place on my line and that this had been going on for about 5 days with another 10 days left (which seemed odd because that would imply that a new set of tests had started almost immediately after DLM had completed), and that I should notice an improvement in 10 days.

Unfortunately there is also a slight caveat in my internal setup. The house is fairly old and was converted into a student household at a later date. As part of the conversion, the front two downstairs rooms were converted into bedrooms and telephone sockets in these rooms were painted over, with the effect of making them unusable. It turns out that one of these sockets is in fact the master socket and the one phone socket that remains usable (in the kitchen) is connected via a junction box which in turn is connected to that master socket. Having this setup replaced is currently not an option since under my tenancy agreement I cannot make any alterations to the house without the consent of my landlord (who is currently on holiday). Because of this, I am expecting not to get the best speed possible for my line although I am curious if such an internal wiring setup could really lead to interference causing a loss of roughly 10Mbps?

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or thoughts on what could be done to improve my broadband connection. My router stats are posted below.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 117615 151234 0 7903 331610 5:19:29
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 5:20:19
      WLAN Up 147406 114763 0 351245 9378 5:19:50
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3069 kbps 253 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32.0 dB 42.9 dB
      Noise Margin 5.9 dB 11.7 dB

One particularly odd thing I have noticed is that my upstream line attenuation is higher than my downstream line attenuation, which from what I have read should not be physically possible? What could cause this?

Many thanks for any help that can be provided, it is much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Slow Connection Speeds

poor internal wiring or bad line would cause these reading , have you checked for test socket try from there and post stats , bad wiring could cause severe drops in sync rate

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tenar For This Useful Post:

gammasfor (27-08-12)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It turns out that one of these sockets is in fact the master socket
      If the test/master socket is inaccessible then and you cannot fit a new one where the phone line comes into the house, then you are stuck with what you have. You will just have to hope the owner will allow you to break it out. With a good line you should get 12-14Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

gammasfor (27-08-12)

Thanks

Hi, a follow-up from this.

So last night after scraping some paint from the master socket, I was eventually able to open the port, and thus was able to plug in my router direct to the master socket. My router stats from the master socket are the following:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 3575 1288403 0 250 257 0:19:57
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 17:53:02
      WLAN Up 1345970 1356512 0 8735 1980 17:52:33
      Connection Speed 3071 kbps 253 kbps
      Line Attenuation 15.5 dB 5.9 dB
      Noise Margin 15.3 dB 19.8 dB
      Now it turns out that the fault is indeed within the internal wiring, and that the fault is pretty large since I am unable to even get a dial tone from a landline phone from the extension socket (but I can from the master socket).

Since the noise margin and line attenuation had improved greatly from the master socket, I contacted Sky today explaining the improvements I had made on my end and asked if they would be willing to restart DLM on my line. However they refused claiming that my speed was "unstable". They said they were going to perform a line test (thus disconnecting me from their live chat support) and would text me in 72 hours if the problem was on their end.
      Last edited by gammasfor; 27-08-12 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Should probably explain I mentioned to Sky that I had identified the fault with the extension and plugged into master socket

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

thats just really stupid support should re contact support on mobile get them call you back line test takes 2 mins at most , and if your have said clearly what is happening should have done dlm only difference would be if line test showed a fault

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tenar For This Useful Post:

gammasfor (28-08-12)

Thanks

With a good line you should get 12-14Mb.
      I will revise that to 18-20Mb. As Tenar says get back on to them and tell them you have improved your wiring and want your line reconfigured.

You do know that you will have to leave the router where it is, or preferably fit a filtered faceplate. If you put it back where it was your stats will nose dive.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

gammasfor (28-08-12)

Thanks

Yeah I figured that would be the case. I intend to get the internal wiring looked at in the long term though.

Thanks

I just want to update that I emailed Sky and they reconfigured my account to 15Mbps, my new line stats are as follows:

Connection Speed 15711 kbps 765 kbps
      Line Attenuation 15.5 dB 7.2 dB
      Noise Margin 7.1 dB 17.7 dB
      Hopefully that should be my issue revolved

Thanks

Your upload is very low, they nearly always forget this when they do a manual configuration. I would push for them to run DLM training, you should get pretty near the full 20Mb, if not more.

TomD

Useful Utilites