Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Home Network config

This is a discussion on Home Network config within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, Need some help, so sorry for the dumb questions! I'm a IT guy, but rubbish with networking and ...

JamiePryer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Home Network config

Hi All,
      Need some help, so sorry for the dumb questions!
      I'm a IT guy, but rubbish with networking and need some help/advise about setting up my home network.

I hope the pic helps to illustrate my current setup, which I need some advise on please.

Basically, I find that the DG834GT is rubbish - since the latest update v1.04.13, loads of devices (both wirless and hard) dont connect any more, which seems to be a common problem: Sky Help Forum - Sky supplied netgear dg834gt wireless router error... - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum

Ontop of that, the wirless signal in my flat is terrible, mainly because the walls are so thick! So in my room, i only get 2 bars of signal on the iphone/ipad

Questions:
      1) Can anyone recommend a better router to upgrade too? Ive been looking at others, but i think i need to get a modem or something too? High Performance Wireless Routers From NETGEARŪ

2) Should I backport the router softwarre to the one found on the netgear site? v1.03.23

3) Maybe if i got a switch in the bedroom that was also wirless, this might help boost signal in there? If so, recommendations of a good switch

4) i need a better/bigger switch in the living room, as current only allows 5 connections, but now need 7+, recommendations?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Network config-home-network-setup2.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Home Network config

I think the Billion 7800n is the highest recommended router on the forum. It is capable of connecting using Sky's MER which none of the Netgears can do and it does not look like they ever will. It can also be used with Sky Fibre if you ever upgrade. As for a switch, this one gets very good reviews and is cheap - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003V4A5Z...SIN=B003V4A5ZC

In the meantime if you are considering flashing the GT I would advise using DGTeam firmware rather than the standard Netgear. It is far better than the Netgear standard and streets ahead of the Sky versions, http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/netgear/

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think the Billion 7800n is the highest recommended router on the forum. It is capable of connecting using Sky's MER which none of the Netgears can do and it does not look like they ever will. It can also be used with Sky Fibre if you ever upgrade. As for a switch, this one gets very good reviews and is cheap - TP-LINK 8-port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch (TL-SG1008D), Plastic Case: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

In the meantime if you are considering flashing the GT I would advise using DGTeam firmware rather than the standard Netgear. It is far better than the Netgear standard and streets ahead of the Sky versions, http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/netgear/

thanks for the quick reply and info!

i tried to install this: but got the error: DG834GT_V1.03.23_DGTeam_1012_eng_adsldrv023o.img
      also for:
      DG834GT_V1.03.22_DGTeam_1018_eng_adsldrv022c
      DG834GT_V1.03.22_DGTeam_1018_eng_adsldrv022o
      DG834GT_V1.03.22_DGTeam_1018_eng_adsldrv022

Upgrade file is not the correct type or version for this device.Upgrade failed.
      Please obtain the correct file and try again.

steps:
      1) log into netear router
      2) click "router upgrade"
      3) select file

Thanks

Upgrading from Sky firmware requires the use of the Recovery Utility. You will find instructions here -
      Ive done it! Flashed router and got my sky password!

With further advice here, should you require it.
      Recover a Netgear DG834GT Router

The Recovery utility was written for 2000/XP and can be difficult to work with Vista/7. With these you must run in XP compatibility mode and run the EXEs as Administrator. Some find that having 2 or more network adapters helps. The MS Loopback driver does the job.

Make sure you are using the firmware for the ADSL driver installed on your router, the 'adsldrv022c' bit. You will see it on the Status page of the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks! sounds like to much hard work and things to go wrong!
      an upgrade sounds like the best choice - is the "Billion 7800n" the best choice then?

Thanks

Its fairly easy to do really, but unless you have a second router ready to replace it, it not worth taking the chance.

The Billions are the most recommended routers on the forum, but bear in mind that if your line switches to MER or you transfer to Sky Fibre, you will have to upgrade the firmware. This is very straight forward compared to the Sky Netgear.

TomD

Useful Utilites

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamiePryer View Post
      thanks! sounds like to much hard work and things to go wrong!
      an upgrade sounds like the best choice - is the "Billion 7800n" the best choice then?
      I've been running the Billion for over 9 months now & it's proved 100% reliable.

I've run it under PPPoA & MER without issue.

The support from Billion I think is very good and they are very responsive to any issues and are continually upgrading the firmware as in the case of Skys' MER connectivity and fibre.

Also the gigabit ethernet ports are very handy, meant I could disconnect my gigabit switch.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
      I've been running the Billion for over 9 months now & it's proved 100% reliable.

The support from Billion I think is very good and they are very responsive to any issues and are continually upgrading the firmware as in the case of Skys' MER connectivity and fibre.

Also the gigabit ethernet ports are very handy, meant I could disconnect my gigabit switch.

thanks
      ive complained to sky and they have issued me their latest router
      will give that a go first and go from there

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post

thanks
      ive complained to sky and they have issued me their latest router
      will give that a go first and go from there