Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow broadband speed with Sky

This is a discussion on Slow broadband speed with Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Help needed!! My router is in the front room & when I am in that room I get about ...

isplumm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Slow broadband speed with Sky

Hi,

Help needed!!

My router is in the front room & when I am in that room I get about 10mb.

But in my office I get about 3Mb.

So following advice from here I bought 2 Solwise 500mbps pass through homeplugs.

I thought that this would speed things up in my office - but no such luck.

Also something odd - my own laptop does not seem to recognise the ethernet cable when plugged into the homeplug - but does recognise it when plugged directly into the router?

My work laptop does recognise the ethernet cable, but the speed is still only about 3mb.

Should I be getting the 10mb speed in my office when using homeplugs & any vague idea why my laptop doesn't recognise the cable??

Thanks Mark
      Oh by the way, my office is in an extension that we added a few years back - no idea if that would make a difference?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Re: Slow broadband speed with Sky

Could you try the 2nd HomePlug in another electrical socket elsewhere in your home please and check the speed there too?

It may be that how the electrical wiring has been connected to your main input is affecting things or it may be that the HomePlugs can't cope with the traffic throughput (see threads in fibre section linked below).

One important thing to mention too is that HomePlugs should not be connected on Surge protected sockets. This does affect many of them.

Homeplugs + Sky Fibre

HomePlug and PowerLine Adaptors on Sky Fibre

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks - that was my plan this morning .... to see whether it is the plug in my office ... by the way something weird is going on ...

I have been getting about 3-4 speed in my office & about 10 next to my router - all wireless .... tested again last night (10:45pm) & 9:30AM this morning in office - now getting about 7.5 wireless in office??

Mark

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Certainly strange.

I recall one thread where the OP had to find two suitable sockets to use. The previous owner had fitted additional sockets by wiring them to the existing sockets and the effect was to cause a very slow connection.

Another member wanted to extend his network to a garage. Unfortunately the way the power to the garage was connected meant that the signal from the HomePlugs didn't travel between the sockets in his house and the garage. In this case he ended up fitting a Cat 5e cable to link the two together.

Personally I think that HomePlugs are really useful and are responsible for helping a lot of people.

If you were considering setting up a 1Gbit LAN though, currently HomePlugs aren't really up to the speed. In this case you should consider Cat 5e or Cat 6 Ethernet cabling.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Oh by the way, my office is in an extension that we added a few years back - no idea if that would make a difference?
      It is possibly on a separate ring from your main circuit. This would effect the plugs efficiency as they work best on the one ring. It could also be on a spur off the main ring which would once again cause the signal to deteriorate.

Why your laptop does not recognise the homeplugs is a bit more difficult. Have you tried with different cables? Try updating the LAN drivers this may do the trick.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

apologies for not coming back - the laptop is about 18 months old - I have tried updating the land drivers - says upto date. Assuming I did it in the right place for LAN?

I took the homeplug upstairs - checked wireless speed 8mb, homeplug 7-8mb via work laptop. Home laptop will not register homeplug at all - but will work when plugged directly into route! Tried different cables as well ...

Suspect will have to send back under DSR Monday!

Mark

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

I don't know if you are aware but Solwise has a very active Forum. Maybe you should have a look there to see if there is an answer to your problem. There may be a firmware update available for your plugs. As with most forums you will have to register to post.
      Powerline/Home Plug Devices

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the advice - I woke up @ 2:30 AM this morning & had a brain wave .... move the router into my office and plug the sky box into the homeplug!!

So now router in office with homeplug in socket, next to my laptops - both getting 9-10mbps plugged directly into router - which is what I expected & still able to download programs via Anytime+ so happy.

I did tweet Solwise & will go on their forum tomorrow .... but this will do!

Thanks everyone for their help.

Mark