Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Best router location?

This is a discussion on Best router location? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all I've recently moved and have signed up to Sky broadband unlimited. The house I've moved into is old ...

Kurby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Best router location?

Hi all

I've recently moved and have signed up to Sky broadband unlimited. The house I've moved into is old and doesn't seem to have had any electrical or telephone socket upgrades in the last 10-20 years. There are 2 telephone sockets with less than a meter between them, 1 next to the living room door and the other in the passage and none upstairs. I've tried to find which is the master but the wires go trailing under carpets etc upstairs and I don't really want to pull the carpets up at the moment. There is a small BT box near the window in the back bedroom so I'm guessing that's where the BT line runs into the property.

I'm looking to get the master socket moved in the near future but i'm going to have to keep it the way it is for now. The layout of the living room is below:

Ideally I would like to move the master socket next/near to the power socket as I can use a wired connection to connect to my TV, Sky HD box and PS3. However at the moment I've got the router next to the phone socket and have to run an extension lead around the room and under the sofa which is a bit of a pain. I've also got to connect to everything using a wireless connection which seems to make my download speed drop to about 1.5mb (I only get 3mb wired).

Where is the best place I could put the router? I would like it near the TV but I'm not sure how I can get it to work there. I was thinking about using a telephone extension lead (as short as possible), connect the internet filter plug (not sure of the correct name for this) then connect the router. Would that work?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Best router location?

You could ask the BTO engineer to move the socket for you when/if he comes to connect you to the telephone exchange.

If he doesn't turn up or refuses to do it (without a large fee) then take a look at the run-IT-direct site and look at moving the telephone socket.

I was thinking about fitting an electrical point/extension but this would be hard work with the doors and you would still need to reach the TV.

run-IT-direct - ADSL, Telephone & Network Products - Buy Online - Network Cabling Installation -

Dave regularly contributes to the forum and you should find him helpful in recommending specific cable options to help you. Please don't buy the cheapest telephone extension cable from your local shops as your connection speed will suffer.

If you aren't happy to move the telephone socket yourself, consider finding a local contractor to do it for you.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you only have 2 sockets determining the master is easy. Remove the front plate and look inside. The master will have arrestors and a capacitor, a cylinder a bit smaller than a AAA battery and will have 2 sets of wires connected. The slave may have a capacitor also, although it shouldn't, but it will only have one set of wires(2) running into it. With a bit of luck you will have an NTE5 like this- How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mrcrow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161 776
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you only have 2 sockets determining the master is easy. Remove the front plate and look inside. The master will have arrestors and a capacitor, a cylinder a bit smaller than a AAA battery and will have 2 sets of wires connected. The slave may have a capacitor also, although it shouldn't, but it will only have one set of wires(2) running into it. With a bit of luck you will have an NTE5 like this- How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

golly!! i wish i had that as my master socket...which i dont
      do you think i should have the socket upgraded...

Thanks

It is always worth fitting an NTE5. Genuine parts can be obtained from run-IT-direct - ADSL, Telephone & Network Products - Buy Online - Network Cabling Installation - they are easy enough to fit.

Have you discovered which is your master socket?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Kurby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is always worth fitting an NTE5. Genuine parts can be obtained from run-IT-direct - ADSL, Telephone & Network Products - Buy Online - Network Cabling Installation - they are easy enough to fit.

Have you discovered which is your master socket?
      Yes, the master socket is in the passage and no it's not a NTE5. There's loads of wires and a cylinder in there and to be honest I don't feel confident to change it to a NTE5 myself. If I ask Openreach to move it, will they replace it with a NTE5 faceplate or will I have to supply that myself?

As I pay line rental through Sky, will I need to phone Sky about moving the master socket and then they contact Openreach?

I think I'm going to have to run it all wirelessly for 2-3 months (I'm skint thanks to this house ).

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks

Yes, if you pay the rental to Sky they have to put any requests to BTO. They are likely to charge a bit if they consider it is not faulty.

TomD

Useful Utilites