Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help - what is my best option for boosting wifi signal around house/to near the garage?

This is a discussion on Help - what is my best option for boosting wifi signal around house/to near the garage? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All advice gratefully received please: I live in a very normal 3-bed semi & need to move my study, ...

wyebird is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01923
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help - what is my best option for boosting wifi signal around house/to near the garage?

Hi

All advice gratefully received please:

I live in a very normal 3-bed semi & need to move my study, & sky router, from an upstairs bedroom to a room downstairs off the garage.
      BUT like anyone else I need to retain decent wifi coverage elsewhere in the house.
      As it stands, the coverage near the router is fine but the wifi drops out downstairs with the router being upstairs, & having tested it, when i move the router to the intended-new position outside the back door to a new study by the garage, the wifi is non-existant upstairs & in the lounge, which is a problem I really need to overcome.

I have tried a few things to no avail so far:
      1) tested various wifi channels & changed the wifi channel - no difference.
      2) tried the router from other positions around the house - still struggle to pick up signal elsewhere.
      3) can't really plug the router into master phone socket (located in a more central position in the hallway) because -unhelpfully - that socket I inherited is positioned nowhere near any power source in the house.

I'm guessing my options are as follows:
      1) replace my existing Sagem G router (a few years old) for an N series version - how likely is this to help me gain better wifi coverage all around the house? Sky say I can get a Sagem N router for about 35 & p+p & that was pretty much the only piece of advice they had. Not keen on spending that when i can't be certain it'll solve the problem of a poor wifi signal around my home.
      OR
      2) would 'home plugs' be a solution for me, & how do they work, what do they need connecting to? They seem to cost about 26 & p+p but I am unfamiliar with them.
      OR
      3) should i invest in a wifi extender (these seems to cost about 60)? Again, how does this work in layman's terms?

...OR are there other suggestions to help which anyone might have please?

My dilemma is that I'm obviously keen to make the right choice here, rather than take a punt & spend money (that, like anyone else, i haven't got) investing in all 3 options, one at a time, until I crack it with wifi that will work fine all around the home to serve the 2 laptops & 2 iphones that we have in the household.

Hope someone can wisely point me in the direction of what is likely to be my best option. Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Help - what is my best option for boosting wifi signal around house/to near the garage?

Homeplugs offer a good solution, it converts you mains cabling into network cabling. You would plug one into a mains socket near your existing router and connect it to the router with LAN cable (supplied with the Homeplug). You would then plug a second Homeplug into a mains socket near your remote location and connect that to the PC via LAN - or add a Network Switch for 6 and have multiple LAN sockets for multiple equipment (just like your router works). It's all plug'n'play and needs no configuration.

One additional possibility is having at the remote location a Homeplug with built in WiFi.

Take a look at Homeplug & Wireless network Stockist who offer a very good range and are a reliable supplier.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dms05 For This Useful Post:

wyebird (03-08-12)

Thanks

Re: Help - what is my best option for boosting wifi signal around house/to near the garage?

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, & for those tips.

I'll look into them with the Homeplug stockist.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

I was thinking that it might be a good idea to consider looking into installing a double power socket near to the Master Socket too as you could have a problem should you upgrade to Fibre at a later date. Many of the exchanges in your area are already Fibre enabled.

Whilst you could easily arrange to get the Master Socket moved by BTO when the Fibre is installed, you would also have to arrange for your internal extensions reconnected.

With regards to changing to the WiFi n router, certainly this would improve the signal coverage from the one router, but I think that you do need to consider multiple items to improve things generally. Dave's suggestion regarding the HomePlugs and Network Switches is good. However there can sometimes be issues with connecting a HomePlug in a garage. If this is the case, then you will need to look into using External Ethernet cable to provide a link from your house to the garage. This can be run underground or, with support, overhead.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

wyebird (03-08-12)

Thanks

Hi & thanks too for your reply & advice.
      Really can't afford adding a double-power socket to where the master phone point currently is (house was re-wired a year or 2 ago anyway & that cost a bomb!).

Might save up to move the master phone point to a more suitable position in the future I guess if I really have to. Ditto if ethernet cabling needs to be run from one part of the house to the extension near the garage - again keen to avoid that if i can.

For now though, i'll look at the N router option as you suggest & Home Plugs with a network switch which dms05 also briefed me on.

Thing is, that Homeplugs website has SO many different types to choose from, it's hard to to know which one i ought to pick to suit my needs...?! Would you say the starter kit should suffice?

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Essentially consider something which advertises speeds of at least 200mbps if you are considering Fibre. Whilst HomePlugs that work at 85mbps are reasonably alright for an ADSL connection, they struggle when it comes to a Fibre connection.

There are two standard: HomePlugs and PowerLine. Any HomePlug working at say 200mbps with work with another manufacturer's HomePlug, but not PowerLine and vice versa. There are also 500mbps adaptors. All of these should work well on your electrical system as it has recently been rewired.

With regards to the telephone socket, you could consider installing an electrical extension that could reach the socket. Obviously I can't see how practical this will be. I was thinking that you could wall mount the two-way or 4-way socket near the master telephone socket.

Masterplug 2 Socket Extension Lead 5m, 5015056515571

A few important things to consider though:

HomePlugs (and PowerLine Adaptors) don't work well on socket which are surge protected. If you are short of a socket near where you want to use one, then consider getting a HomePlug with a passthrough socket (i.e. plug the Surge Protected extension into the socket in the HomePlug)

None of the Sky routers have wall mounting sockets. You may need to place it on a shelf

Thinking of the future again, it isn't a good idea to link between the BTO Modem and your router with a HomePlug. The Ethernet cable can be anything up to 100m, providing that there aren't any sharp bends

Why do I mention Fibre when people are on ADSL? Simply because the European Government's target is to have everyone on a connection speed above 30mbps by 2020. This means that as ADSL2+ can only support 24mbps (Sky's limit is 20Mb, but some go over) it will be redundant in just a few more years and it may be a good idea to think of what the next offering will be now when making changes around your home.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

wyebird (03-08-12)

Thanks

Food for thought for me there.
      I appreciate those pieces of advice, thank you.