Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

annoyingly slow bb despite being under 1km from exchange

This is a discussion on annoyingly slow bb despite being under 1km from exchange within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi, im new to the forum so bare with me so here's my problem, I live in Earls Court area ...

tmf01 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: earls court
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

annoyingly slow bb despite being under 1km from exchange

hi, im new to the forum so bare with me

so here's my problem, I live in Earls Court area of Kensington, and according to samknows.co.uk I am 686 m from exchange straight line and around 930m walking.

However my router stats are as follows:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6143 kbps 614 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48.5 dB 32.2 dB
      Noise Margin 8.3 dB 10.5 dB
      This has been stable fro about 10 days now, though it is not unusual for my connection to drop and reconnect at 3.7 odd mbits/s.

Now I now for a fact that during my second year at uni I lived at the house 1.08km straight line distance and was getting over 10 meg down and 1 meg up at all times, if I remember correctly it was around 13/1, though that was with o2.
      And I got 6 meg in one of the flats I used to live before that which was about 2 km from exchange. And even when I lived 2.66km straight line from exchange I was getting around 3.7meg down, so u get the picture I'm trying to paint

Rung up sky about this the bloke there was trying to be helpful but all he could do really was to send me a new router which changed exactly nothing.

Also apparently my building is the only one in the neighborhood which can't get virgin media (otherwise I'd never go back to hat DSL nonsense), needles to say Indian sales staff could not explain that one, ah well.

Anyways this is how it has been from the start with no light at the end of the tunnel.

So I'm wondering if anyone's got any suggestions as to why this might be or at least maybe there's someone who's in the same boat and can share my grief

Sorry for the long post

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: annoyingly slow bb despite being under 1km from exchange

do your line stats show any changes in snr over any period then line rate will change , but as router has been replaced then what you are looking at is possible line fault or internal interference , if you have test socket run stats from there and compare reading if you see any difference then its internal also check phone line for noise , if still same you can get case raised for cst agent to have closer look at possibly getting bt engineer involvement

Thanks

thank you for your quick reply Tenar.

I forgot to mention that I haven't got a test socket just one of those little bt sockets where wire go straight into a plug.

I received the new router this Monday but Noise Margin has been consistent for about a week now in fact it only dropped to something like -1.4 on downstream once in past 10 days, at which point I had to restart the router for it to sync at around 3.9 meg, but it was fine again in couple of hours.

By the way initially I was promised 5-11 meg downstream which already seamed a bit low.

Anyway I guess I'll just have to keep ringing them

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Your line attenuation is about the same as mine, and I get approx the same.

The attenuation is basically your line length to the exchange, and so would indicate that you are more than 686 m from your exchange.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are under 1K from the exchange then there is a serious fault on your line raising the attenuation. You are not using a trailing telephone extension to plug the router in are you? This can badly effect your connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Your line attenuation is about the same as mine, and I get approx the same.

The attenuation is basically your line length to the exchange, and so would indicate that you are more than 686 m from your exchange.

I figured out as much, besides I did mention that the figure is a straight line distance as reference from samknows. If i were to walk from my building to the exchange its around 930 m. Yet I remember getting a figure of something like 2.5km based on my attenuation, although I can't remember where from.
      Even the sky tech guy was surprised at the poor performance of my line.

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Also bear in mind that the Olympics are straining the UK network. BT said they were having problems so not sure if Sky would be too.

Be glad when it's over!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Yet I remember getting a figure of something like 2.5km based on my attenuation, although I can't remember where from.
      Its more like 3.5K according to Kitz's calculator.-
      ::. Kitz - Max speed calculator .::

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by williammorris View Post
      Also bear in mind that the Olympics are straining the UK network. BT said they were having problems so not sure if Sky would be too.

Be glad when it's over!
      we'll I signed up with sky and was at first getting 5/0.8 till it started dropping out a lot

but none the less I've already had enough of Olympics, especially all the road restrictions, I should just sublet my apartment and leave till the whole ordeal is over), though it does seem that Olympics have been affecting my latency, since its been just awful in past few days

Isitme, yes It does indeed say that which mean the line is running loops around the neighborhood or something, I've really no idea how else to explain this.