Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can't connect to the internet, Help!

This is a discussion on Can't connect to the internet, Help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, All of a sudden some new networks have been installed in my area. This I think has interfered with ...

Monsteize is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Can't connect to the internet, Help!

Hi, All of a sudden some new networks have been installed in my area. This I think has interfered with my connection. My laptop has a Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter built in and I get limited internet access. I used to get around 3 minutes on the internet before it kept dropping out, but now I can't get any internet access. Sometimes the connection says that my computer doesn't meet the requirements for this network. My sister has the same laptop model and the same problem. The internet is fine if my laptop is connected to the Sky router via ethernet cable. My Xbox 360 uses WiFi to connect to my router and that is fine. I am not sure whether it is my Sky Router or Laptop. The new connections have been up for about 2 week now and nothing has changed. I am using Windows 7 if that helps. All I know that my router is a Sky Sagem.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Can't connect to the internet, Help!

Try changing the channel the router is using. Channel 13 is usually a good bet.

You could also download and use Inssider, link below, to discover the channels in use in your area.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Apoc3001 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I can almost guarantee the problem is with the wireless adaptor. Are you by any chance using windows Vista?

If you are then ensure you update your driver as soon as possible, vista combined with an atheros wireless card that's not up-to-date appears to have issues with holding connection/connecting at all.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc3001 View Post
      I can almost guarantee the problem is with the wireless adaptor. Are you by any chance using windows Vista?

If you are then ensure you update your driver as soon as possible, vista combined with an atheros wireless card that's not up-to-date appears to have issues with holding connection/connecting at all.
      No I am using windows 7, I have tried updating all my drivers including my wireless adapter.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you changed the channel? Yours is a very common problem with more and more users going 'wireless'. Unfortunately the Sky routers are not the most powerful out there, so they suffer when a new network opens up nearby.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Monsteize (21-07-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monsteize View Post
      No I am using windows 7, I have tried updating all my drivers including my wireless adapter.
      Thank you! I changed to channel 13 and it is working fine