Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed Drop

This is a discussion on Speed Drop within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Today I contacted Sky via chat because BT came over to exchange server about a week ago & installed ...

lambo89 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Speed Drop

Hi

Today I contacted Sky via chat because BT came over to exchange server about a week ago & installed 21 CN/ADSL2+. I asked them if I can get improvements to my speed & they said my line can only hold 4 meg which is my current speed, anyway after this chat I notice my speed has dropped to 2.7 meg and they couldn't resolve the situation, I thought I wait few hours to see if it goes back to its normal speed but it hasn't. What should my next steps be? Would it be best to ring Sky to sort this out? & also would I actually get improvements to my speed? or am I still capped at 4 meg? Below are my stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2762 kbps 797 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53 db 34 db
      Noise Margin 6 db 11 db

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Speed Drop

You are not connected to BTO's 21CN equipment. Looking at your stats, you are already benefiting from an ADSL2+ connection.

Sky Connect is limited to an upload speed of 448kbps. It looks like your exchange has Sky's equipment installed and you now have Sky Broadband Unlimited. You can check this by looking at your MySky account on the sky website and SamKnows.

SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

It might be worth call sky to see if they can place you on "G.DMT" or ADSL, rather ADSL2+. You may notice a speed improvement from doing this. Unfortunately you have a long telephone line from the exchange and this is reflected in your connection statistics.

The only way to improve on this at present is to get a Fibre based connection.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you tried plugging the router into your Test socket and taking the stats, link below?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      You are not connected to BTO's 21CN equipment. Looking at your stats, you are already benefiting from an ADSL2+ connection.

Sky Connect is limited to an upload speed of 448kbps. It looks like your exchange has Sky's equipment installed and you now have Sky Broadband Unlimited. You can check this by looking at your MySky account on the sky website and SamKnows.

SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

It might be worth call sky to see if they can place you on "G.DMT" or ADSL, rather ADSL2+. You may notice a speed improvement from doing this. Unfortunately you have a long telephone line from the exchange and this is reflected in your connection statistics.

The only way to improve on this at present is to get a Fibre based connection.
      Samknows says that I do have 21CN in my exchange server tho? or is BTO's 21 CN something different? sorry I don't know if there is a difference between that?

Also my stats below are the ones that how it has always been, I did some tweaking around got my speed back to normal. The real thing I want to know is can this speed be increased? because after the 21 CN installed when I go on say BT website they say that can offer me 7 meg speeed, I went on Talk Talk they say they can offer 4.6 meg, but the sky agents via chat couldn't increase the speed.

Connection Speed 4091 kbps 797 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54 db 34 db
      Noise Margin 5 db 13 db

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

BTO's 21CN will be used by any ISP who is providing a product via BTW. It is an ADSL2+ piece of kit and supports speeds up to 24mb.

Sky's Connect package is one such product. However Connect is limited to 8mb on an ADSL (not ADSL2+). Sky's LLU kit uses ADSL2+ technology.

Since you are not getting 7mb, there appears to be an issue with your connection. The only other way that BTO could ever provide a faster connection would be to provide you with brand new pure copper only cable all the way from the telephone exchange. This practise is classed as favouritism and Ofcom would love to hear about it so that BT Retail can be heavily fined.

Could you please plug your router into the Test Socket behind the split faceplate on your Master Socket and post the connection stats from there?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

7 meg is probably the estimate for your postcode, somebody 3 doors down from my house got a 9 meg sync with 39db attenuation. Mine was 42db attenuation and could only sync at 7.6Mbps. So not everybody on your street which is around the same distance from exchange gets the same speed.

4Mbps is about right for your attenuation, if you ask to be put on G.DMT you might sync a few 100kbps higher.

4.2 Mbps for example

But I dont think your line can get much more speed out of it, unless your line was re-routed to the exchange which would give you a better route to the exchange which could drop the attenuation down to lets to say 48db that would then give you a 5.2 - 6.0Mbps sync you are not getting much more speed.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi guys after going backwards & forwards with a Sky agent, they said I couldn't get improvements to my speed but after a few days I saw this:

Connection Speed 5584 kbps 797 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53 db 34 db
      Noise Margin 4 db 14 db

I was wondering what had happened? I didn't ask for anything to be changed, my speed has improved by 1.5 meg but upload speed is the same.

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

agent has rerun dlm (dynamic line management ) on your line with has pushed speed up as long as no faults or noise should stay this way