Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Well I guess it had to happen 6 months and my first isues with Sky BB

This is a discussion on Well I guess it had to happen 6 months and my first isues with Sky BB within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; A little unsure where to start really, but since I have been with Sky BB unlimited (router is the Fast2504N) ...

madcustomer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01454
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Well I guess it had to happen 6 months and my first isues with Sky BB

A little unsure where to start really, but since I have been with Sky BB unlimited (router is the Fast2504N) have been very impressed with the connection speed and reliability of connection.

But since Friday, I have had such a fluxuation in speed, I am a regular checker of various different speed check sites and at the moment 80% of my connection speed appears to be less than 1mb, where I usually hit a consistent 7.5mb-8.2mb.

Today the speed check spiked at 54mb! and settled at 12.2mb - I was left puzzled, rebooted the router and then began receiving the 7.5mb avg again.

I have tried connection via the master socket and I am not using microfilters as I have an ADSL faceplate.

Apart from checking old faceplate and using a microfilter what else should I be looking at?

My local exchange is Chipping Sodbury (
      SSCSY) and I am extremely close to it.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Well I guess it had to happen 6 months and my first isues with Sky BB-router_stats.jpg

Last edited by madcustomer; 09-07-12 at 11:13 PM. Reason: add router stats

2. Advertisement
      timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Re: Well I guess it had to happen 6 months and my first isues with Sky BB

You sync speed is spot on for your attenuation so that's good.

Do you run Kaspersky AV/Firewall as that's known to through out speedtests?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are very close to the exchange as you say, then something is wrong with your line. Your attenuation indicates a distance of 1.5 to 2 K line length, which I would not call close. Do you have an records of your previous stats? There is a chance that a fault on your line is causing the attenuation to increase, thus reducing your speed.

Today the speed check spiked at 54mb! and settled at 12.2mb -
      With a sync of 10 Mb, both these speeds are impossible. What speed checker are you using?

With the disparity in speeds, to rule out software problems, you might want to try starting in Safe Mode with Networking and do a test at Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well thats a very negative title, "Well I guess it had to happen" LOL
      I have been with them about 6 years and had pretty much no problems at all, well a couple of really minor ones.
      But the previous poster is right Kaspersky dose screw speed testers up, mine reports a fabulous speed of 160mb lol.

madcustomer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01454
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Well thats a very negative title, "Well I guess it had to happen" LOL
      I have been with them about 6 years and had pretty much no problems at all, well a couple of really minor ones.
      But the previous poster is right Kaspersky dose screw speed testers up, mine reports a fabulous speed of 160mb lol.
      Possibly a bit harsh I guess but still when I came from VM with a constant dropping of connection then I guess slow speed is a tad bit better!

I am running McAfee, I am also afraid I don't have any previous stats.

Update for today though a real hit and miss on the connection speeds, across all three browsers (IE, Safari and Chrome) Chrome seems to be the worse, so I am going to go on the basis at the moment that connection is fine as replies on the post indicate good figures etc and will look more closely at my system.

Speedtests were all good in Safari using a variety of different speed check sites, however Chrome just hates speed tests (well it does for me)

Thank you to the replies