Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Like Tree7Likes

lift & shift

This is a discussion on lift & shift within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; HI. No. Judging by the concern in the ladies' voice, when she saw that my 1st call to sky about ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: lift & shift

HI.

No.
      Judging by the concern in the ladies' voice, when she saw that my 1st call to sky about this was 26/5/12, She may have something else in mind.

Mind you, she also said it'll probably result in another bto visit

btw user05, back on 8/7/12 the 1st thing you asked was 'is the noise present for both parties?'
      Well, tonight & for the 1st time throughout all of this, the cst lady couldn't hear it at all, despite it being the loudest, most constant noise i've heard so far.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If the noise is a high pitched whistle and/or both parties cannot hear, the case goes to Network Operations. Before I left Sky, their estimated response time was anywhere in the region of up to 5 days for voice cases if I remember right...

Personally, I'd say with the line test result and previous line fault, I'd hazard a guess that it's going to be passed to Openreach again.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

There's no fluctuating crackle & hiss like usual.
      It's more constant, like a rear window slightly ajar on the motorway.

Also, i did mention this here: ping spikes & upstream attenuation halved after i thought the problem was fixed, but it's back again:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 18755*kbps 1172*kbps
      Line Attenuation 23.0*dB 6.2*dB
      Noise Margin 7.2*dB 8.5*dB

That upstream attenuation has been around 14-14.6db since i joined sky in october 2011.
      I can't find any info online to suggest what would cause the phenomena though.
      It only started happening 2 days ago. Weird.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I've seen unbalanced wires cause upstream attenuations rise close to that of the downstream attenuation figure, but not sure about lower.

Did they mention what action is being taken now?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

No, i'm afraid not.

I get the feeling that the lady would ordinarily have sprung into action, but because of the ridiculous amount of info on her screen going back for so long, held off on this 1.

This gave me some confidence & like i've said before, i really can't fault cst in this regard.

It would be a different story if they were the only organisation involved...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I called cst today & had another line test fail.
      The noise is back to the usual crackle & hiss & could be heard by the cst lady.
      It's been constant since monday morning, bb is dropping every 10-20 minutes & the best it'll sync in at is just over 6 meg, with upto 100% packet loss on the ping tests.

I have bto coming tomorrow afternoon.
      Hopefully, if i mention it's been going on for exactly 2 months now, they'll take pity on me & do a little more than walk away having had all their tests come back clear.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I hope that it goes well for you.

It is annoying when a customer has to go through this palaver. Thankfully it is a minority, but this doesn't help you.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Ok, so i can't bring myself to mention the other company (grrr) anymore.
      Suffice to say, yesterday was... erm... disappointing.

I got through to an outstanding cst guy last night, who almost immediately escalated things to another level.

1) My fault has now been elevated to 'viper case' status.
      2) A cst manager will now liase with a resident grrr manager on my viper case.
      3) I have an appointment for a grrr 'line expert' to visit tomorrow afternoon. Apparently, this chap will be better trained to physically inspect my line, all the way from my master socket back to the exchange, as opposed to just plugging gadgets into my test socket.
      4) Extra info on sky's line test fails - it's a high resistance fault. (i googled this after the call & this cst guy really knows his stuff).
      5) To allay my fears over both sky & grrr eventually giving up, the cst guy was adamant that this fault will definitely be fixed. 2 quotes: "whatever it takes" & "even if it means laying a brand new line". Can't argue with that.

I could go on, but it'd just be a load of grrr.

Btw, the cst chap was well aware of this forum & rated it highly.
      Scubbie likes this.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

One of the ways of testing for a HR fault is to bring up the router stats, lift the phone and dial a number. If the noise margin rises quickly, that confirms high resistance fault.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Getting a dial tone cuts my broadband.

Somethig i've noticed recenty is that if the router syncs at a moment with (presumably) highish noise, i'll get about 6 meg. In this state it can hold sync for an hour or two, although the noise margins will go dangerously low, like 0.2db.
      If i sync with lower noise, i can get anywhere between 8 & 18 meg, but the higher it is, the less time it takes to cut out.

In all scenarios, a phone call will drop the sync & for about 20 seconds the line will be quiet. I can then hear the router re-syncing (it's a bit like a fax machine) & the noise returns. Generally, the router will hold sync for the duration of the call, then drop out again when i hang up.

Having said that, the voice line is constantly noisy, even when it's plugged directly into the test socket on its own & vice versa, the bb will cut out with the usual symptoms without the phone connected.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast