Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help with splicing lines

This is a discussion on Help with splicing lines within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi A few months ago I moved rooms in my house - there was an old virgin line going into ...

barneszilla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help with splicing lines

Hi

A few months ago I moved rooms in my house - there was an old virgin line going into the room.... so instead of paying BT to come out... I spliced by existing Sky Phone Line with the Virgin Line going into my house.... it is working fine and has done since I moved in, with no signal drops or attenuation changes.

I've now noticed that a dozy old Virgin engineer has come to my house (Shared house) to install for a new tenant who moved in, and has spliced (in the box on the outside of the house) a new phone line along with the standard Virgin Coax, and added some cabling to go upstairs to his flat.

Does anyone know if this will cause any issues? I'm pretty sure the guy shouldn't receive any phone/internet through my line should he?

I also notice a separate phone line is running into the new tenants room...do you think the engineer noticed the line wasn't working and installed a new one?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Help with splicing lines

Where did you 'splice' it in? If you did it after disconnecting the Virgin wires from the socket you used, there should not be a problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

barneszilla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Literally spliced it on the outside of the house. There was my skyline running next to the virgin TV cable line, and the virgin phone line. So basically the box outside of my house had Virgin TV, and Sky Broadband. The virgin engineer extended the virgin TV and my sky broadband up to the flat upstairs.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Its still not very clear what you have done. Maybe a couple of pictures would make it a bit plainer.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.