Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

I think Sky are Capping my connection

This is a discussion on I think Sky are Capping my connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've not had a chance to come over soz bro, I was in hospital last week If its not done ...

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: I think Sky are Capping my connection

I've not had a chance to come over soz bro, I was in hospital last week

If its not done anything after 5 days i'll head over.

2. Advertisement
      St1ffl3r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hailsham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Morning All,
      Thanks for the sound advice I have given it to the day so that they don't BS me and say leave it till after the tenth day!! I have just however logged in and checked settings and it seems that I have dropped speed again!!! I cannot believe this at all see details below. I am making a record of these between the time to see if anything changes, and will be calling sky and saying its done nothing. I will then get them to try and put me on g.dmt line as advised in previous post. If I don't get anything then I will go through to the manual config team and talk to them, let me know if anything else I should be saying.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2040 kbps 414 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.0 dB 36.7 dB
      Noise Margin 8.6 dB 15.9 dB

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Sky's personnel would not have deliberately reduced you connection. This leads me to believe that there is an issue with your line that DLM is picking up.

A friendly call should help to highlight this and perhaps someone can look into this for you.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

5kb is nothing really, if you reboot you will probably find it goes back up. Ask them to try G.DMT, it can't be worse than you are getting.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sky's personnel would not have deliberately reduced you connection. This leads me to believe that there is an issue with your line that DLM is picking up.

A friendly call should help to highlight this and perhaps someone can look into this for you.
      Thanks scubbie, i have spoken to sky on 3 occassions and still the speed is being capped at 2mb or just over, they can increase my line to 3.5mb but they will remove the Gamer (low ping) profile on there. Apparently they cannot offer both on the line, which from the openreach and forum chat they should be able to. This is leading down a road of dissapointment for me as i thought Fibre would be rolled out ( but on investigation i found out that the cabinet i have will not be upgraded) However i have been post to post between BDUK the council and openreach and have got nowhere. So im kinda given up at the moment and ill just go back to freekin Dial up least it'll be cheaper and i KNOW its slow...

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

If you have your own router, can you set it up and connect it to your connection please.

If you can then 'telnet' into it and after a few hours post the full connection stats we can see if there are any CRC errors building up.

As for what BTO and Sky can do, forget the comments from BTO, they have different kit. Sky has a specific range of settings available to shorten the pings and BTO will be wanting you to use their equipment, not Sky's. Whether they could ever deliver is a different story and I for one have no respect for BT India where most of your calls would be directed.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I still think you should try for G.DMT, but in the mean time, download and use Routerstats Lite. That will give an idea of how your noise margin is performing. RouterStats -Lite

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

There is a 4608k/864k profile which on G.DMT gives very good ping times, i was on it and got ping around the same as i get now on virgin media (14ms to bbc etc) but on ADSL2+ the same profile 4608k/864k is slightly higher for ping, it has 8ms/0ms max delays on ADSL2+ and 0ms/0ms on G.DMT, I dont know if it still exists, but there was times DLM ran after a new contract and took a while for me to get it back to that profile as sky had to look for the exact 4608k/864k profile G.DMT and not ADSL2+ thats the only profile around your speed that can still give good ping times, i dought your line will support this profile though (but you could ask to see if it will) if not you will have to choose either speed increase and ping increase or low speed and ping times being what they are now.

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

Hope you get it sorted.

Boothy

Thanks

Morning all,
      Cheers for the info boothy! I have spoken o tech lvl2 lady this morning who was very helpful, previously on a standard profile i was getting 3.5mb max but ping was hitting the mid 50ms, on the low ping gamer profile i was getting 2mb (2045) and ping was good at 24ms.

After to speaking with them this morning that have optimised the line and have pulled in 3.8mb and pinging 23ms which is alot better than what i had. She did inform me that this is probably the best i am going to get out of it due to line distance etc unless it gets upgraded in the future. Im happy its not a major improvement but it counts. Details below

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3801 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.5 dB 36.6 dB
      Noise Margin 6.9 dB 9.2 dB
      Thanks Morag@skytech

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast