Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By nry

Offered free 'N' router, error at Sky means I can no longer get it....

This is a discussion on Offered free 'N' router, error at Sky means I can no longer get it.... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Not sure if this is the right forum section but it seemed better than the other areas so ...

nry
      nry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Offered free 'N' router, error at Sky means I can no longer get it....

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right forum section but it seemed better than the other areas so here goes:

On Saturday 23rd June I spoke to a nice chap at Sky about getting a free router upgrade to the newer 'N' model. I said at the time that it was a cheeky question, but I was hoping that, as a very long standing customer with TV/BB/HD with no other offers available to us, that perhaps they may be able to do something for us.

He initially came back from speaking to his supervisor and said they could do free carriage - a saving of 2.80 I think. I said that we were hoping for a free router, so the carriage wasn't really what we were looking for. He went away to speak to his supervisor again and after a good few minutes came back and said that yes, on this occasion, they were able to send me a new router FOC - excellent I though, worth asking!

The chap then spent around 10 minutes trying to put the order through - he put me on hold a few times and finally came back and confirmed that the order had been placed. If the router didn't turn up by Friday then I could give them a ring to check on the progress. As nothing had turned up, I rang them yesterday evening (Saturday).

To my surprise, I was told that the order had been cancelled and that 'Nobody in Sky can authorise a free router to existing customers, it is not their policy to send out free routers'. They ran through the script on my account for my call on the 23rd which shows the advisor trying 4 times to create the order, a note added on the 4th order saying 'Router ordered' but this was then cancelled whilst I was still on the phone on that date.

In short, the supervisor I spoke to last night was unwilling to attempt to get in touch with the advisor I spoke to last week because as they cannot ever offer a free router, there is no point. There was no note made on my account to state that the router was FOC, though as above, they cannot do a free router anyhow.

At this stage, to say I am annoyed is an understatement. I was either lied to by the advisor last week, or Sky are implying that I am lying about being offered the free router in the first place. They were completely unwilling to consider I coul even have been offered this deal, since 'no deal exists to offer'.

Can anyone suggest if there is any route I can follow to get back in touch with the advisor I spoke to who appeared to arrange this deal? It seems that because of technical issues when creating the order, which are not my fault, I am no longer able to get the item which was promised.

The advisors details are presumably listed on my account against the order he incorrectly placed, so I find it hard to accept that Sky cannot speak to this person to confirm how things were arranged - all they could do was undertake an internal investigation to find out how this happened, with no information ever being passed back to me.

Whilst the offered 10 account credit and 25% off our TV package for 3 months (equates to around 5 each month), we are not willing to pay the 35 for the N router as in all honesty, we have other financial priorities at present.

Thanks for any advice/replies.

Chris

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Offered free 'N' router, error at Sky means I can no longer get it....

If you are looking to upgrade to Sky Fibre at some future date, then you will be supplied the same model router, all be it with a different firmware.

In the mean time you may wish to keep your eyes on somewhere such as eBay or a local car boot sale. 2nd hand Sky routers sell quite cheaply. I saw an old Sagem 2504 selling for 5 at one car boot sale the other month.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

nry
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply. So far as I can find, there is no way I can enter my own Sky username/password into another Sky router as that part is locked? I know I can find the details from my current router with suitable software/websites, but can this actually be entered into an eBay Sky router?

Fibre is way off for us, not anywhere near our area at present, though I'm still feeling that Sky should honour the deal they offered last week, it is not my fault that there was an error at their end when setting it up!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Which non-Sky router are you using? You should be able to extract the details from the Netgear DG934G (looking at your profile) and configure it.

The most common issues is getting the correct details. We normally recommend that you copy & paste the details through Notepad and once you have the generated information, you should be able to place them in your own non-sky router. Remember that you need the LAN MAC Address and the serial number printed on the label under the DG934G.

I didn't think that there has been a firmware update for the Netgear DG934G so it should be connecting using PPPoA. Some lines have been locked into using MER.

Get the details from here:
      Sky router password generator

Details on configuring the router are:

PPPoA
      VC-Based
      VPI = 0
      VCI = 38

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

So far as I can find, there is no way I can enter my own Sky username/password into another Sky router
      You don't need to. Any Sky ADSL router will connect to any Sky line. The details are unique to the router, not the user. I would think the same thing applies to Fibre routers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

If you were promised a free N router, then I'd personally keep ringing until someone does something about it and upholds that promise. In regards to getting in contact with the first advisor - his/her ID will be logged on your account. Call Sky, ask them to look up the ID, raise a complaint against the ID and these should be fed back to managers for follow up. Should of course.

nry
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Turns out the person who originally arranged the free router was an advisor working on behalf of Sky, not a normal Sky employee - as such I'm told their calls are not recorded. The advisor apparently exited my account and cancelled the order instead of confirming it, and the only note they left was 'Router ordered'.

I think I will write to their complaints department at this stage, though I suspect I may get nowhere.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
      Turns out the person who originally arranged the free router was an advisor working on behalf of Sky, not a normal Sky employee - as such I'm told their calls are not recorded. The advisor apparently exited my account and cancelled the order instead of confirming it, and the only note they left was 'Router ordered'.

I think I will write to their complaints department at this stage, though I suspect I may get nowhere.
      All Sky calls are recorded both inhouse and outsource.

You are more likely to be speaking to an outsourced advisor than inhouse whenever you call Sky but unfortunately bad service is just as likely from either.

Cancellations can send the router free of charge if you want to call.

Or you can raise a complaint form through this link from the Help & Support section of sky.com .

nry
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Cheers all - I rang them again today and asked for the Complaints department which apparently they don't have. I then said OK, can I speak to the cancellations department - at this point the agent asked if I would tell him my problem and after he confirmed things against my account, he spoke to his supervisor and approved the free router! It does show up on my Sky 'Order Tracking' page, so hopefully it is now sorted out as originally agreed which is all I was asking them for
      Scubbie likes this.