Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ADSL Surge Protector

This is a discussion on ADSL Surge Protector within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Currently our Sky Broadband is ran through our old Netgear DG834G router, however, I'm pretty sure the router was affected ...

Izak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Netgear N900
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

ADSL Surge Protector

Currently our Sky Broadband is ran through our old Netgear DG834G router, however, I'm pretty sure the router was affected by a thunderstorm last summer as it had terrible problems and I ended up resetting it. Ever since, we've had intermittent WiFi issues.

After the thunderstorm I plugged the router into the ADSL socket on my surge protected power extension and it doesn't seem to affect the speed.

We are soon replacing the router with a new Netgear N900 and using the Sky supplied Sagemcom as a 'modem' which will be positioned in another room by the side of the master socket for maximum connection speed.

However, I do not have an ADSL surge protector by the master socket so I'm wondering if I really need one and if so, where to get one from. I've seen a couple of cheap ones in Amazon but they are not branded so I don't know if they are good or not.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: ADSL Surge Protector

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

How about a UPS with surge protection for the phone line as well as power, e.g.
      APC Power-Saving Back-UPS 550
      JPL

Izak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodley
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Netgear N900
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I think a UPS is a bit pricey for what I'm looking for, plus with the Sky modem being positioned downstairs by the master socket and the computers are upstairs, I wouldn't be able to use it to its full potential by keeping the computers on during a power cut.

I think I'll be probably better buying another surge protector extension like the one I have by the computer that does both power and ADSL.

westom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Izak View Post
      I think a UPS is a bit pricey for what I'm looking for, plus with the Sky modem being positioned downstairs by the master socket ....
      Read spec numbers for the UPS. Its protection is near zero. Typically less than power strip protectors. It is no idle challenge. If any UPS does that protection, then the recommendation also has the relevant number posted here. No number will be provided for one simple reason. Its protection is near zero.

Locating the modem closer to the master socket or computer does almost nothing to affect data speed. Meanwhile learn from that BT even does. Their £multi-million computer suffers about 100 surges with every storm. So they use protectors that actually do protection. The protector must connect low impedance (as close as possible) to the single point earthing electrode. And up to 50 meters distant from electronics. Because a protector too close to electronics and too far from earth ground can even make surge damage easier.

Nothing posted even claims such protection. Superior solutions mean you know where hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate. How many joules does a UPS claim to absorb? Just enough above zero so that consumers can be told is it complete protection.

Superior solutions can even cost tens or 100 times less money than your existing ADSL and power protector.