Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Best second router

Voters
    1. You may not vote on this poll
    • Belkin n750

0 0%
    • Netgear N900

1 100.00%
    • Apple AirPort Extreme

0 0%
    • Other not listed

0 0%
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best second router advice

This is a discussion on Best second router advice within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We went on Sky Broadband in May last year and was sent as Sagemcom F@ST 2304 router that we had ...

Izak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Netgear N900
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question Best second router advice

We went on Sky Broadband in May last year and was sent as Sagemcom F@ST 2304 router that we had terrible issues with the WiFi on so I went back to using our old Netgear DG834G router.

Sadly I think the Netgear is on its last legs after 6 years of good service.

So I've planned on using the Sagemcom as a 'modem' only (using a guide I found elsewhere on these forums) and buying a good Dual Band N Cable router to do the rest of the work.

I've narrowed my search down to three options:

Belkin n750
      Netgear N900
      Apple Airport Extreme

Can anyone advise on which is the best? I've obviously had good experience of Netgear products with my current router lasting 6 years and I've been using Apple products for 9 years so am happy with their quality, however, I've never had anything other than a couple of Belkin ethernet cables so have no real experience with their products.

Thanks in advance for any advice

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Best second router advice

Each of us will have had experience with different routers. I trust that you are looking at a Cable router. There are a few threads regarding the Netgear N900 WNDR4500. Do look at the the forums:

WNDR4500 Discussion Forums - NETGEAR Forums

I've been using the WNDR3800 which has the same GUI and I quite like the Netgear Genie application on my Laptop and mobile. The 1Gbit LAN is good and the WiFi is very stable. There is also the ability to link a supported printer through Genie so that your iPad or iPhone can print to it.

I will let others comment about the Belkin and Apple Airport Extreme as I don't know these products.

I trust the WiFi adaptor in your Laptop can support the 450mbps connection, otherwise I would suggest looking at a router which supports 300mbps instead.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Izak (28-06-12)

Thanks

Thanks for your reply, I'll have a read through that other forum too.

Yes, it will be a 'cable' router I'm going to get. I'm quite happy using the Sky Sagemcom as a 'modem' but after having the WiFi issues with it last year, I don't want to use it as a router. Plus, I'm thinkning of the future too. If we get fibre optic broadband at some point, a seperate router will save having to reconfigue everything.

I must admit, I was leaning towards the Netgear after having had the DG834G for 6 years but I do like the simplicity of the Apple AirPort too.

My current set of computers are aging a bit now so I'm planing on getting a new laptop within the not too distant future so I'm sure that will support full N WiFi

Thanks

When I was looking last summer with a friend, most Laptops on sale with WiFi n abilities only supported up to 150mbps on a paired channel. I don't know if the situation has changed hugely but most sales assistants won't know what you are talking about or will fob you off with an answer of just admit that they don't know.

The top-end Laptops are more likely to be supplied with an adaptor that support WiFi a/b/g/n and up to 300 or 450mbps.

In practise, whilst it might invalidate a warranty, it isn't too hard to change the WiFi adaptor in many Laptops for those who are happy to do so.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Izak (28-06-12)

Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I've made the decision and gone with the Netgear N900. I've ordered it from Amazon which saved me a fair bit. Hopefully it will be with me soon.

Thanks

It should be easy to set up. Remember the the IP Address range of the Netgear will be the same as the Sagem. This will cause a conflict if you do not change things promptly. For this reason I would suggest that you initially configure it when not connected to the Sagem 2304n and change the IP range (i.e. don't use 192.168.0.1 on the WNDR4500, use something like 192.168.10.1).

You can use the Sagem to automatically assign an IP Address to the WNDR4500 using the WNDR4500's WAN MAN Address. This IP Address would then be set as the DMZ Server too.

See Tom's guide for more information:

Using the DLink DIR613.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Izak (28-06-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      It should be easy to set up. Remember the the IP Address range of the Netgear will be the same as the Sagem. This will cause a conflict if you do not change things promptly. For this reason I would suggest that you initially configure it when not connected to the Sagem 2304n and change the IP range (i.e. don't use 192.168.0.1 on the WNDR4500, use something like 192.168.10.1).

You can use the Sagem to automatically assign an IP Address to the WNDR4500 using the WNDR4500's WAN MAN Address. This IP Address would then be set as the DMZ Server too.

See Tom's guide for more information:

Using the DLink DIR613.
      Thanks, I had downloaded Tom's PDF a while back and that is what got the thinking about getting a cable router.

I've followed his guide and set up the Sagemcom ready.

According to the PDF instruction manual I've downloaded for the N900, the router's IP address is set to 192.168.1.1 by default so it shouldn't cause any conflicts.

Will post back when I get it and let you know how I've gone on setting it all up.

Thanks once again for your advice today.

Thanks

Got the Netgear router this morning and after setting it all up. It seems to be working ok. The WiFi range was strangely less than that the old Netgear even though the new one was positioned in the same place (between my PC and monitor). However upon moving the router to a high shelf away from the computer, the WiFi range increased thankfully.

Anyway, the Sky Sagemcom 2504n router is acting as the modem perfectly. I followed Tom's guide but instead of having to input the IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway IP, etc, the Netgear did it all automatically! So I went into the Sagemcom setup, set the IP address the Netgear had been assigned to a fixed address and turned the DMZ on to it.

Now the only thing that I'm not sure about is the Sagemcom's firmware version. As its not been used for over a year, its at version 5.14.6.1a4N. Is this the most recent version or will it automatically update at some point maybe over night?

Thanks

Nice result.

I think that is the latest firmware, so all should be fine. If it wasn't, Sky's system automatically updates the firmware as soon as the router is plugged in once the firmware has been properly rolled out. Otherwise firmware updates tend to happen in the early hours.

As for your new router, do install the Netgear Genie app on your computer and mobile. I like it and have found it very useful.

Thanks

Everything is still going well with the new router, however, like our old one, there is still a low WiFi signal at the back of the house, not because the router to too far away but more likely due to interference, thick walls, etc. The Aluminium patio doors we have into the garden have always reduced the signal down to almost nothing outside so trying to use my iPad on the patio can be hit and miss too.

So seeing as we now have an Ethernet cable running downstairs to the living room (near the back of the house), I was hoping there might be a WiFi range extender that could connect to the router via Ethernet in the living room and extend the wireless network. Netgear do a WN2500RP range extender that sounded good until I read it connects to the router via WiFi.

Can anyone recommend a good dual band range extender that can connect to the router via Ethernet rather than WiFi? The only one I've found so far is the Apple Airport Express and that apparently only works with Apple routers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast