Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Activated yesterday - router switched off by mistake today

This is a discussion on Activated yesterday - router switched off by mistake today within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My line was activated yesterday and was sat at around 4Mbps download and 400kbps upload (I think! I don't have ...

AnotherForumAccount is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESHAD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question Activated yesterday - router switched off by mistake today

My line was activated yesterday and was sat at around 4Mbps download and 400kbps upload (I think! I don't have a copy of the router stats).

Overnight it moved to this:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6142 kbps 797 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27.5 dB 16.2 dB
      Noise Margin 15.1 dB 16.7 dB

Unfortunately, someone managed to switch the router off by mistake this morning. Will this have any effect on the process for increasing the line speed over the next 10 days?

Also, with the above stats for noise margin and line attenuation, what sort of speeds can I realistically expect to see once the process has finished?

We're all avid PC gamers in the house and would want to get as low a ping as possible. On my old provider (PlusNet) we were getting a ping of around 35-40ms in most FPS games and now on Sky we're getting around 60-65ms. We play SWTOR on an East Coast US server and that was pinging (in game) at a pretty constant 100ms with PlusNet and now we're seeing anywhere from 130-170ms.

I've read about a gaming profile that we can be switched to, but there seems to be conflicting 'stories' about it halving download speeds or having no effect on the download speeds at all. Can someone point me in the right direction of what, where, why and when?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Activated yesterday - router switched off by mistake today

Switching the router off once will have no effect on DLM. With your stats you should get 15-16Mb, provided you have a decent line. At the moment it looks good.

When DLM training is complete you will find the ping improves, if it doesn't you can call Sky and ask for your delay to be reduced. If your line is good DLM will set the delay a 8, which is the lowest available with Sky, they do not use Fastpath. There is no reason why your ping should not be as good as it was with Plusnet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

AnotherForumAccount is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESHAD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Activated yesterday - router switched off by mistake today

Perfect.

Many thanks for the fast response.