Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection Dropping at Random Intervals

This is a discussion on Connection Dropping at Random Intervals within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Ive had sky broadband for over a year now and had no problems. One day my Phone and Broadband ...

KpCollins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Connection Dropping at Random Intervals

Hi,

Ive had sky broadband for over a year now and had no problems. One day my Phone and Broadband ceased to work so I called sky and to my surprise Openreach came out the next day and "Sorted" my phone line.

Everything seemed fine, I started to play Diablo 3 and at random points in time my connection was disconnecting and given a minute or 2 would resume. I 1st thought it was a problem with Diablo 3 until one day when it happened to my partner happened to be on her Laptop wireless and her connection dropped too, She couldn't surf the internet for this minute period where the internet connection wasn't available.

I confirmed this about a day later when mine and my partners smart phone's lost the internet connection but remained connected to the Wifi ( not 3G internet ).

I started to try different things to solve the problem.

1) Called Sky and Reduce the Line speed from 15Mbps to 10Mbps
      2) Changed the Microfilter
      3) Played a wide variety of games encase the disconnection was in some way inclined to Diablo 3.

The only things I can think of next are the Router, Or the Openreach engineer didn't quite sort the problem or created a new one.

Few things to be aware of when the connection drops. Anything Connected to the Router at the time stays connected and can surf the network without problems ( File Sharing etc.. )
      When the connection does drop the router indicates everything is fine, The green light stays green and this is the same throughout.

Statistics

System Up Time: 17:50:18
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 463554 736361 0 0 0 17:49:16
      LAN 639151 390507 0 0 0 17:50:18
      WLAN 126683 106655 0 0 0 9:07:17
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15329 kbps 1094 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.5 db 16.3 db
      Noise Margin 6.6 db 7.8 db

Ive noticed the connection speed has increased again, Didn't ask sky to do it however but since I know thats not the issue I'm happy with it as is.

The only time this information may change is at the point in time the connection drops as it is back to normal even 10 second later.

I used to work in a technical field and know with the problems here it cannot lie with my computer but has to be from the router out (If you know what I mean)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Advertisement
      RADZ1973 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01424
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Connection Dropping at Random Intervals

Hi m8 i am not no expert at all but this happened to me and it was what you said to much speed being crammed down the line. I had mine lowered and it has been ever since. If your speed has been upped by sky again this is probably why its happened again give them a ring and get it lowered again and see if it stops it. You need to tell them to make sure its done as i asked for a gaming profile and twice i phoned back and it was not on this profile so try and get someone who is competent as i have had some right donuts on the end of my line before .

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is possibly a DNS problem, give your PC fixed OpenDNS server addresses and see if that helps. The addresses to use are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, but problem still persisted after both.

Thing is this time when it happened it only disconnected mine, Not my partners laptop on Wireless ( im wired Btw )

Im thinking of splashing out on an Internal Network card for my Pc to try and put my Motherboards ethernet port in the frame.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KpCollins View Post
      Thanks for the replies, but problem still persisted after both.

Thing is this time when it happened it only disconnected mine, Not my partners laptop on Wireless ( im wired Btw )

Im thinking of splashing out on an Internal Network card for my Pc to try and put my Motherboards ethernet port in the frame.
      Note on this:

Could anyone advise me on how to update this crappy routers firmware? Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You will have the latest firmware for the router, but you might want to update the drivers on your PC. Get them from the motherboard manufacturers site, do not believe Windows when it say you are up to date.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.