Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Have Sky changed there noise margins?

This is a discussion on Have Sky changed there noise margins? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone Just wondered if anyone knew if Sky have made any changes to there noise margins over the past ...

Liamc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Have Sky changed there noise margins?

Hi everyone

Just wondered if anyone knew if Sky have made any changes to there noise margins over the past month or so? The reason being i am using a Billion 7800n with my Sky unlimited BB and i have noticed a sudden change. Basically before my line would sync at around 3400kbps on the downstream with a noise margin of 7db. I used to tweak this SNR with my billion router to actually increase it as my line was always a little unstable running that high. I would tweak it in the billion tweak page with a number of around 125 and that would normally increase the downstream noise margin to around 7.5-8db and give me a downstream sync of around 3072kbps.

Anyway as of the past month or so i have rebooted my router so any SNR tweaking would have been reset to 0, my line now seems to sync at around 2944kbps downstream with a noise margin of anything between 6-6.5db. My latest sync is below

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was just curious to know why my line is now syncing a lot lower when i have not tweaked any SNR settings? To be honest once my router used to hit anything over the 3072 downstream margin i used to tweak the SNR higher as i would get a lot of errors as i said before but just wondered if maybe my pairs could have been switched at the cab or if indeed sky have changed something? My line is set to G.dmt as well as i have a long line of around 62db which actually used to show 60db until all these changes with my SNR.

Hope someone could shed some light on this for me

Thanks a mill

Liam
      Last edited by Liamc; 18-06-12 at 03:58 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Have Sky changed there noise margins?

Sky have changed the default setting for some lines, but it would not apply to what is happening to you. If your line was good enough it would have reduced the margin to 3 or 6 to give you a higher speed, but this is not what has happened. It looks like your line has developed a fault or has deteriorated in some way, causing it to resync at a lower speed with a lower margin. Have you made any changes to what you have plugged into the phone line recently? Do you notice any noise on your voice line?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi there

Nothing has changed at all are end which makes even more strange. There is no noise on the line from what i can tell, i dont have a corded phone to test properly which is a pain might be able to take one from work and try it out i guess. Im plugged into a filtered faceplate on my 1st socket as my master is an external one, the only other things plugged in are the phone into the faceplate and my 2 sky boxes all of which dont have filters due to the filtered faceplate

Thanks

and my 2 sky boxes all of which dont have filters due to the filtered faceplate
      You might want to try plugging these into filters, even if you have a filtered plate. Take your stats, plug them into a filter then take your stats again to see if there is a difference. The Sky boxes have been very troublesome, requiring some to buy a high quality filter to stop them interfering.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Have I missed something here? The thread starts from nowhere!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Have I missed something here? The thread starts from nowhere!
      Can't you see the 4 posts above yours?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

It seems my opening post has gone how strange??

I will try maybe unplugging both sky boxes and see if this makes a difference perhaps

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Liamc View Post

I will try maybe unplugging both sky boxes and see if this makes a difference perhaps
      That's what I was on about. Isitme was asking questions when there was nothing above his post!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

That is really wierd i have know idea why it has done that?

I unplugged both sky boxes and rebooted my billlion router but got the same stats

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was thinking maybe to plug in my sky router and see if i get the same results what do you think?

EDIT

I dont know if perhaps my line may well have been capped for some reason but i have noticed that whenever i re-sync with the exchange the downstream is always 2944kbps with the upstream at 416kbps. Sometimes the upstream changed to 315kbps but the downstream always connects exactly the same more a less with a SNR of 6.2-6.3db never 7db
      Last edited by Liamc; 18-06-12 at 05:54 PM.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Liamc View Post

All new members first few posts are moderated automatically. If an image or URL is inserted at this point, the software will stick you in a moderation queue. As Tom is a moderator he can view all the posts and obviously missed the fact it was actually moderated.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast