Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

poor speeds and dropouts

This is a discussion on poor speeds and dropouts within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; HAHA just bin onto the upper level tech and she reconfigured my line with a cap of 4mb altho im ...

thequeenscheese is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: HYDE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: poor speeds and dropouts

HAHA just bin onto the upper level tech and she reconfigured my line with a cap of 4mb altho im only getting just over 3mb at the min she did say when it stablizes i may get more, and the box errors are no more..

maybe a sticky about the ringer wires would be a good idea both in the tv and bb section...

cheers for the help itsme

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 11:07:36Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 249 270 0 99 105 00:07:48
      LAN 100M/Full 48599 30434 0 1384 81 11:07:31
      WLAN 11M/54M 73980 54577 0 1861 192 11:07:19
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3072 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 57 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 7 db

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

With the popular use of Filtered Faceplates, removing the ring wire isn't needed as much anymore as the filtered faceplate will isolate your internal wiring from the ADSL signal an this should prevent the ring wire from causing interference. If an NTE5 socket isn't available it can be more beneficial to consider getting one fitted and then also fit a filtered faceplate too.

Can I just ask if you removed the Ring wire on all your telephone sockets too? Just leaving one end connected can still result in an issue.

Finally not every telephone in use will work without the ring wire fitted. You do need yo be aware of some of these facts.

Personally I often link people to the page on the Kitz website on this topic, but if you do wish to compose something useful then please feel free to do so. If it is good we can then sticky it.

::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      With the popular use of Filtered Faceplates, removing the ring wire isn't needed as much anymore as the filtered faceplate will isolate your internal wiring from the ADSL signal an this should prevent the ring wire from causing interference. If an NTE5 socket isn't available it can be more beneficial to consider getting one fitted and then also fit a filtered faceplate too.

Can I just ask if you removed the Ring wire on all your telephone sockets too? Just leaving one end connected can still result in an issue.

Finally not every telephone in use will work without the ring wire fitted. You do need yo be aware of some of these facts.

Personally I often link people to the page on the Kitz website on this topic, but if you do wish to compose something useful then please feel free to do so. If it is good we can then sticky it.

::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::
      Hi yes i have removed it from all sockets and i was aware that some phones reqiure it to power the ring, i think it would be a good idea to do a simple sticky on how to do this as i think there will be a lot of people who will be in the same boat as i was especially in newbuilds like mine is, and i can cinfidently say if mine is theres anothr 60 or so flats the same just around me, and if id have found sutch a thread i could have saved myself a lot of time and agro trying to sort it out.
      As for writting one you may want to get someone a bit more articulate (and a better speller lol) than me to post it tho..

basically what i did was remove all wires that wasnt in no.s 2 and 5 slot on the socket and made sure all extra sockets had corrisponding wires in no.s 2 and 5 also then called sky asked to be put through to upeer level tech and got them to work some line magic..

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Theres a tutorial linked on the home page.

Sky User - How to remove the ring wire from your master socket

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Thanks Ged, I forgot about that one.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

maybe a sticky about the ringer wires would be a good idea both in the tv and bb section...
      What's the point? No one ever reads them unless they are referred there by someone else.

There are tutorials on just about everything you can think of, but once again, unless someone is pointed to them, they don't get read.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

maybe a different tag of " how to increase your broadband speed-removing the ring wire"
      or something along those lines would be a better idea, if you dont know that the ring wire exists or affects your speeds then you wouldnt know to look up anything to do with a ring wire..

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567