Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem With Connection - Best Route to Take?

This is a discussion on Problem With Connection - Best Route to Take? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I came back from holiday on Saturday and found that my Sky bb wasn't working correctly. I rang Sky and ...

westv is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chelmsford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Problem With Connection - Best Route to Take?

I came back from holiday on Saturday and found that my Sky bb wasn't working correctly. I rang Sky and got a ticket number. They said someone would call me back in 2-3 days (working days, or not, was not specified and I didn't think to ask). In the meantime I tried to connect with an old modem (Alcatel usb "frog"). This was able to synch with the exchange and (using the tweaks found elsewhere) I was able to connect up but at only around 1.5kbs rather than the 5.5kbs I was getting previously.
      I rang back Sky this morning just to update them on this and they noted it. They also said that they would try to synch with the box. However, as I wasn't at home at that moment they couldn't. I raised the point that wouldn't the synch test have been done on the Saturday when I first rang. The person I spoke to did some further investigation and then said that there was actually some problem with some of the cards at the exchange (Wickford) and that one of them was mine. This problem had been raised on the 26th September - either by Sky or someone else (I don't know). I asked how much longer the problem was likely to last for but the person I spoke to couldn't tell me because they didn't know. He did mention that it was tier 3. He also mentioned that BT might be able to tell me. I rang them but they referred me back to Sky. I wasn't surprised about that ! This has all left me with these questions.

1. If the problem remains at the exchange, how is it that I can connect (albeit at a lower speed) on the Alcatel modem?
      2. How do I find out when the problem will be fixed?
      3. Should I just wait for Sky to call back within the 2-3 days?

Can anybody here help me with these? I would be very grateful for any assistance.

2. Advertisement
      Sparkymatt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wickford
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi there

I am also on the Wickford exchange. I did not notice any cionnection problems on Saturday night, but last night about midnight I had problems. I had no internet access at all even though the router was synced at 8197 kb/s. Rebooted the router which then synced slightly lower at 7986 kb/s but still no connection to server.

Tried my Linksys router using searched for tweaks . That synced at 8007 kb/s but still no connection, so went back to Sky router.

After about 30 mins, I noticed the router had connected to Sky and I could now browse internet.

Maybe Sky/BT were doing the repair work

Matt

Thanks

Thanks, I'll check again this evening.
      Being able to connect on one modem but not on another suggests to me a problem with one of the modems but I'm no expert on any of this though !
      Sky say it’s a card problem and the Easynet website mentions some sort of maintenance at Wickford on the 13th so perhaps I'll see what happens.

Thanks

Still no luck this evening. You still ok, Matt?
      I'll see what happens, if anything, on Friday.

Stephen Kirrage is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woking
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I've also had problems with connection to the sky servers so I suspect it's not to do with your exchange. Once the connection drops it takes for ever to re-connect. I've discovered you can force the reconnection either by pulling the power connector out of the back of the router for a few seconds and re-connecting (internet connection normally in place within 1-1.5mins) or do a software re-boot by going into the web interface of the router (http://192.168.0.1 user name admin, password SKY) and clicking on 'Diagnostics' and then selecting the Reboot button.

There's some interesting discussion in the threads at http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-router/ suggesting there is a problem with having the router set to UPnP selected 'on' and it causes the connection to drop. This is technically way beyond me but I'm trying it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Kirrage View Post
      I've also had problems with connection to the sky servers so I suspect it's not to do with your exchange.
      Sky say that as well but I just don't understand how it is that I can access bb using my old modem but not the Sky router. Any technical minded person care to explain please.

Edit: When I do the Sky test for the router I get "Error 100". USB modem still ok though.

StevieBoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Reading
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      When talking about rebooting the router is it simply a case of switching the power on and off? For how long? Are there any other tricks that go with the rebooting process for the router? Or as my Scottish m8 calls it, 'rowter'.

Hornet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eastbourne, SDESTBR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Billion Bipac 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      To Reboot log into the router 192.168.0.1 then on the left hand side you'll see Diagnostics click on that then click on Reboot.

Stephen Kirrage is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woking
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by StevieBoy View Post
      When talking about rebooting the router is it simply a case of switching the power on and off? For how long? Are there any other tricks that go with the rebooting process for the router? Or as my Scottish m8 calls it, 'rowter'.
      Do what Hornet says or if you are lo tech just pull the power cord out of the router and re-connect after ten secs. The advantage of the soft re-boot at 192.168.0.1 is that the box puts up a little screen to re-assure you that something's happening. You can also check your connection status afterwards by clicking on 'Router Status' and then 'Show Statistics' and/or 'Connection Status'

Sparkymatt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wickford
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by westv View Post
      Still no luck this evening. You still ok, Matt?
      I'll see what happens, if anything, on Friday.
      I was at work this evening, so could not try till midnight. All seems ok at the moment.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast