Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Given up on Sky support, please help?

This is a discussion on Given up on Sky support, please help? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; According to this website: ::. Kitz - Max speed calculator .:: I should be expecting to get 5.8 MB/s. Ous ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Given up on Sky support, please help?

According to this website: ::. Kitz - Max speed calculator .:: I should be expecting to get 5.8 MB/s.
      Ous is based on ADSL2 which is normal for LLU type connections. Even so, you should still be getting about double to what you are.

It seems incredible that a house a mile down the road can get 6x faster internet than me on the same line and exchange.
      It is probably 1 mile nearer the exchange, or uses shorter cables, and so gives a lower attenuation.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I want to keep the Sky Talk and get my MAC code and switch to a TalkTalk LLU reseller, or even TalkTalk itself.
      You will not be able to do that. TalkTalk insist on taking over the phone line when you take their broadband. I don't know about the resellers, but if you have Sky phone rental they will probably claim the line is incompatible. If you are still with BT there should not be a problem. Looking at Xilo, the Pro16 offering looks the best for you if you can get it, as you will not get anything near 24Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

spunko2010 (14-06-12)

spunko2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SR102
      Thanks

OK, what are my options for keeping the Sky Talk / phoneline with Sky and using an LLU option such as Xilo? They don't seem to want to take over my phone line.

It says on the Xilo website I *can* get the Pro 24 75GB package.... I wonder if that's an error? It says up to 24MB/ but if Im only going to be getting 2MBs/s I may as well get their cheaper option.
      Last edited by spunko2010; 14-06-12 at 03:24 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As you are still on a BT line leased to Sky there should not be a problem getting another ISP, if Xilo are prepared to take you on I would give them a whirl. TT is a different proposition, I am fairly sure they will want to take your phone over. According to their website Xilo have a rolling 1 month contract so you are not going to be tied for a year or more if you are unhappy. When you ask for a MAC from Sky do not say anything about cancelling, in fact emphasise that you do not want to cancel, or they may cut you off immediately..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Gigabit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: ZeN
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spunko2010 View Post
      Thanks Gigabit, had a look at Xilo using my phone number and they can offer me a 2GB home service, or a "Up to 24MB" Pro Service - is this latter option the LLU one do you think?
      The 24Mb service will be the TalkTalk one. One of Xilo's packages (on TalkTalk I think) is unmetered which is basically unlimited.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, this presents two more questions:

1. Is the Xilo 24MB one going to be anywhere near that speed, since there is no 21CN or ADSL2+ on my line? (I know that nobody can tell, only guess). Or will I be getting similar speeds to Connect with this? I am tryign to understand a) how LLU can increase my speed from a measly 2MB to 'up to' 24MB when the technology is the same (if I understand correctly) it's just a different leasing system.

2. If I don't tell Sky I am cancelling Connect, presumably that means I need to continue paying for it monthly? I have Sky Connect + Sky Talk, can I not cancel Connect and keep Talk (and therefore the phoneline) and just use Xilo for internet, Sky Talk for phoneline? I don't even mind paying it off in one, as I'm beyond the 8 day cancellation that Sky offers. I just hate the thought of recurring payments for something I will never use!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

How long have you had the Sky connect package?

If you have only had it for a short period, then it will be a good idea to collect some evidence first, but if your can prove that the connection is very slow then you will have less problems. Take a look at the Connect thread:

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

spunko2010 (15-06-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi

I have been with Sky Connect for about 6 weeks. In that time it's never worked properly.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

In this case you are within the 3 month cancellation period but you will likely have to pay for what service you have received.

I would be inclined to call and speak to someone about your intention to change providers but make it clear that you do not want them to process a cancellation as you are aware that this would cause a break in the transfer to a new provider.

If you are not sure how things will progress, a polite ploy is to notify the person that you are recording the call at the beginning of the conversation. Technically this is the correct way to proceed if you do this. Since Sky records all their telephone calls there is nothing wrong with this. It just makes it easier to resolve should there be any disputes in the future.

Note: Anyone recording a call should let anyone else know at the beginning of it that you are doing so.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

spunko2010 (15-06-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks. Will talk to Xilo first and see what they say.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast