Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Given up on Sky support, please help?

This is a discussion on Given up on Sky support, please help? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It looks to me like you may be on Connect, not Unlimited, which would explain everything....

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Given up on Sky support, please help?

It looks to me like you may be on Connect, not Unlimited, which would explain everything.
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Your on Sky Connect, not Unlimited, so I'd suggest calling cancellations and moving to a decent ISP...

And don't ask for the number as it's NOT to be given out - the guy with it shouldn't even have it
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

spunko2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I don't understand. Sky Connect is the only offering I can get, I am not on an LLU-enabled exchange. Previously, I have lived in similar areas and had BT but never had these problems, so why should they apply to Sky only?

If I could get Unlimited, I would... In fact I wouldn't even be with Sky if I could.

This is my exchange, which options are available to me please? SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Brenchley (NDBRE) Exchange

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

The only LLU provider in your exchange is TalkTalk. Your exchange also does not have BT's 21CN so TalkTalk are the only provider who can currently give you an ADSL2+ connection.

Looking at your router stats you should be able to get a better connection speed than you currently have. what is killing you though is the fact that you are on Connect. If you go over the daily limit of 1.3GB you get throttled to the stone age.

As already suggested, contact Sky and rather than cancel, ask for your MAC code. Find a better ISP and move to them.

If someone at Sky promises you that the LLU kit will be available in 3 months, ignore them as this is a common tactic.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

spunko2010 (12-06-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks. So from what I understand, I can switch to any ISP? I thought going on the data from my exchange I cannot really get anything else besides this same connection just rebranded through a different company i.e it's still BT. And Sky is one of those companies however they throttle the connection, therefore I should switch to avoid that, but I have no hope of having a better connection? Is that the correct understanding?

Back in 2004 I had a 512kbps connection and it was better than this...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Sadly in your case, there is only one LLU provider at present (TalkTalk). Everyone else will have to sell BTW products.

Some ISPs, such as Sky, ISPs will provide an LLU product when they have their own equipment or the equipment of a provider whom they have a contract with, if available. When the LLU kit is not available, then they are reliant on BTW products.

On the bright side, companies such as Sky and TalkTalk are rolling out more kit to exchanges all the time. Last January Sky announced that they have a programme in place to increase the number of exchanges to cover 88% of the UK's population by June 2013. However there is no information to confirm which exchanges will have Sky's kit installed and when the work will be accomplished by.

Sky builds on broadband growth with increased coverage, 10,000 WiFi hotspots and new fibre launch

On the up side, one exchange I have been watching for someone has been upgraded. Once the current 12 month contract finishes they'll be switching to Sky. Knowing how far they are from the exchange, they should get similar speeds to myself.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If I were you I would be moving to TalkTalk. They were heavily criticised when they first opened up, but are much better now. My neighbour uses them and has not had one problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I took up a new Sky contract alongside their phoneline and an additional HD Box, so not sure if I can cancel only part of that, and move to TalkTalk... Guess I'll phone them up and find out.

Also... The exchange I am using came 11th nationally in the "Race to Infinity" promotion that BT did a few years ago. So common sense (of which OpenReach have none) would denote that they'd have installed FTTC by now, as there is clear demand for it here, when they've installed it in countless other exchanges. Why haven't they bothered? Because they are idiots, I guess.

So it's either stick with Sky and their crappy connection that takes 15 seconds to load Google, or go to TalkTalk and risk having the same again? Or is the LLU option likely to be a better connection? Sorry, I don't fully understand all this.

I'm sure everyone says this, but I need the internet for my home office and if I have to stick with Sky as they are, I may as well sell the business right now :S

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

if talktalk are the only LLU provider at your exchange, then yes. definitely go with them.
      they'll offer you an 'up to' 20 meg service (adsl2+), whereas all the 'rebranded bt product' providers will only offer 'up to' 8 meg (adsl1), which is what you are on now.

it just happens to be that (from my own experience & everything i've ever read), sky have the worst rebranded adsl1 product, but at the same time, the best LLU adsl2+ product out there.

my advice would be to go with talktalk ASAP, then if / when sky insall their equipment in your exchange (quite likely), go back to sky.

also, don't take the data on the 'samknows' website as gospel. it took me emailing them 4 months after the event before their info was updated to show that sky had a presence at my exchange.

Gigabit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: ZeN
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I would go with a provider that uses TalkTalk's LLU network since it is available in your exchange.

I would recommend Xilo as their UK support is excellent and they have good speeds and usage allowances. You won't have to suffer with TalkTalk's useless telephone support (it is the worst in the industry) and they're capping on certain things. Xilo do not cap anything. Xilo can change things like SNRM, interleaving, etc. as well just by contacting them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast